Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

How close is WinSD?
How close is WinSD?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2019, 07:28 PM   #31
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Don't think it applies to Scott, but I resemble that remark!

Regardless, you apparently suffer from some sort of comprehension impairment since we both have agreed/stated it's real, just not a big deal for the average DIYer not intent on driving their speakers to [near] live levels for any length of time.

BTW/FWIW, historically, prosound has ignored it too, relying on the theoretically too small cab tuned too high to help protect it against over excursion.

GM

I absolutely agree with that phrase ....
Old 26th June 2019, 04:46 AM   #32
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
Impact off the sofa

" [I]many years ago i bought tool's book 'sound reproduction', maybe it is time for me to read it [/I] "

You disappointed me .....

I think I can not stand it !

(although if I think about it, a sofa can not cause so many hearing problems ...)

are you aware that you have posted in the wrong thread? crazy
Old 26th June 2019, 04:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
are you aware that you have posted in the wrong thread? crazy

Yes, I am very aware, take it with humor and open a more credible thread the next time .....

Regards
Old 26th June 2019, 11:51 PM   #34
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
you are waving this off like this is not an issue,
No it's not for LF alignment at small signal. That is after all what the T/S parms define.
Large signal is a completely different matter and the T/S only give a vague approximation of how the driver will actually perform at higher excursions.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:00 AM   #35
Kay Pirinha is online now Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Btw, I've played with obsolete JBL drivers in WinISD (2225H, K140, E120, E140...). As their TSP's weren't in WinISD's stock list, I put in those from a table I've found at jblpro.com. WinISD complained incorrect driver parameters then. What's this?

Best regards!
Old 27th June 2019, 11:14 AM   #36
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Btw, I've played with obsolete JBL drivers in WinISD (2225H, K140, E120, E140...). As their TSP's weren't in WinISD's stock list, I put in those from a table I've found at jblpro.com. WinISD complained incorrect driver parameters then. What's this?

Best regards!
The parms have to be input in the correct order if I recall correctly or the program doesn't like it.
I've used a ton of older JBL drivers in Unibox with no issues and results very close to the sims. T/S are usually from JBL.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:42 AM   #37
Kay Pirinha is online now Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm quite sure that I didn't puzzle the parameters, as they're named the same way both in WinISD and by JBL. I suspect the units might differ (imperial units from U.S. JBL, metric ones in WinISD?), but don't see so?
Best regards!
Edit: Here's the JBL table: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IQE2CrUv_u174i

Last edited by Kay Pirinha; 27th June 2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:59 AM   #38
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

^^ Just commenting on what others have said. I don't use it as it had some problems years back and I started using Unibox and Hornresp and never saw the need to revisit it.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:26 PM   #39
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's not a software issue per se; like pretty much any decent lumped element modelling software (Unibox, BB6Pro &c.) WinISD calculates parameters based on previous inputs. So, for e.g., if you enter Qe & Qm, but the Qt provided in the data sheet is not exactly as would be calculated from these will for whatever reason (many manufacturers may round to the nearest decimal or similar) then you will get a conflict. The solution in this case is not to enter Qt; use the software calculated value.

You'll often get similar issues / variations elsewhere, as T/S data provided by manufacturers are often individually averaged values over a batch or selection of samples, which don't necessarily match up when taken as a whole. As far as WinISD goes, I tend to favour entering Fs, Re, Qe, Qm, Sd, Xmax, Pe, Xlim [Xmech] if available, and either B*L or Vas, then let the software calculate the rest. Some software calculates even more from less data entered, and by and large, the results are consistenly accurate for design purposes assuming the baseline originals are OK.
Old 29th June 2019, 11:05 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

When I started using WinIsd (I was more intuitive than HR) it occurred to me to check the results of a JBL DIY development for a rather unconventional vintage speaker.
It is not in the list that was added by kay pirinha, it is the coaxial JBL LE14C.
Basically, it is an LE14A with the addition of an LE20 tweeter at its center, taking advantage of the generous diameter of the 4-inch voice coil.
I used the TS parameters contributed kindly by Bjorno. (See post 132)
One of the different parameters was that LE14C has a dust cover that acts as an extra spider, making the compliance higher.

But to my surprise, WinIsd accepted the loaded parameters and the result was practically the same as calculated by JBL engineers, same number of liters and same duct.
I think it's a very reliable software, maybe not complete enough, I think it does not calculate the inductance of the VC, for example.

Vintage JBL for subwofer

How close is WinSD?Hide this!Advertise here!