Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Synergy Horn with AMT
Synergy Horn with AMT
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2019, 05:17 AM   #21
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Synergy Horn with AMT
circles for mids, triangles at far corners for woofers.
Old 29th June 2019, 06:51 PM   #22
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
Some sort of a critical diameter/X-section makes them visible/invisible, Bill?

I'm also forgetting what shape you made your printed ports.
Click the image to open in full size.

In a coentrant horn, each segment of the horn is responsible for a fraction of the bandwidth. For instance, the first four inches or so are responsible for the spectrum from about 2khz and up.

Smaller taps are better, because they interfere with the frequency response less.

Putting the taps out further interferes with the frequency response less. IE, a 3/4" tap that's one inch from the throat is far more destructive than a 3/4" tap that's three inches from the throat.

It's a juggling act.

Luckily, there's a simple solution, which is to copy what works. My midranges taps work, so do Danley's
Old 29th June 2019, 07:24 PM   #23
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, there's always that. But it precludes using the same conical expansion angle as well, which may or may not be what one looks to do, especially when one thinks about the vertical dispersion of an AMT.

But, yes, absolutely, start by copying and riff from there than from a clean slate (until one knows what they're doing).

And thanks for the info, Bill!
Old 7th July 2019, 01:23 PM   #24
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de45dd View Post
Very interessting post! So what hear from you, itīs maybe the best to start with an skinny ribbon shaped tab.
Which advantages and disadvantages do you see between the differnt placement of the tabs?

Also very interessting. Do you have an picture of the CoSynes Horn (where the tabs where not in the corners)?
Do you still have measurments of the both version (off axis problems)?
Hello. Just checking in to learn what you decided as next steps? Interested in how this goes.
Old 7th July 2019, 04:08 PM   #25
Joseph Crowe is offline Joseph Crowe  Canada
diyAudio Member

The horizontal coverage pattern looks a little wide. What angles are you using for the Constant Directivity flare walls? You might get dead spots on either side of the on-axis response. Kinda like three beams of sound...on-axis, and at the extreme edges of the coverage pattern which wouldn't be good. I suggest looking at the B&C ME60 Horn geometry which shows good performance in the coloured polar map...

B&C Speakers

https://www.bcspeakers.com/media/W1s...jMwL2ZpbGUiXV0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ME60.JPG (96.1 KB, 202 views)
Old 8th July 2019, 07:35 AM   #26
chrapladm is offline chrapladm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Wow never saw this thread yet. Glad to see someone else is going to try the AMT SH idea. I have my parts I just havent started yet. I have a TPL200 and Celestion 4"closed back mids. Was going to try and just build the high and mid section and see how I go but never got started yet. Been over a year now or so. My horn was also going to be more of a 80x 40 radiation shape and more of a standard single 15"JBL pa speaker shape. So my goals were to build something like a SH96 or 64 on its side externally.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:25 PM   #27
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Synergy Horn with AMT
Synergy with an AMT is perhaps one of the best sounding speakers I have ever made or heard. It has the ability to “stun” a listener - that is someone coming by to casually listen will be stopped dead in their tracks and have no choice but to stay and listen and be blown away and speechless. Stunned in other words.

Here is mine with a 30in wide mouth and made all in foam core. Heil AMT and B&C 6.5in Nd driver for mids. Coupled with a FLH for bass, the combo is staggeringly good.

One thing about an AMT is that it lacks the piston power to develop horn loaded gain typically seen with conventional moving voice coil and diaphragm drivers. If you are used to getting circa 10dB gain with conventional drivers, I have found that there is about zero gain with an AMT in a horn.

Important point with construction is that the transition from the AMT to horn walls needs to be smooth as possible and devoid of sharp edges or sudden transitions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCE07CEE-CFD0-4720-81EF-3814D1CCA03D.jpeg (227.4 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 8th July 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 8th July 2019, 07:40 PM   #28
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Synergy Horn with AMT
xrk, I'm kind of surprised that it works so well. I would've thought the AMT diaphragm would get shoved around too much by pressure from the mids (that the pressure would be even stronger at the throat, working something like this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Or is it the way that AMTs work (squeezing rather than flat-pushing) that makes the solid pressure wave coming in be not much of a problem?
Cool looking horn, by the way. I keep thinking it would be interesting to make a foam-core synergy speaker using all neodymium drivers for featherweight!
Old 8th July 2019, 08:11 PM   #29
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Synergy Horn with AMT
Thanks, Bwaslo. Your spreadsheet was critical to making the panels.

I think it works because the pressure gradient preferentially moves from high to low and the open end is lower pressure. There probably is some modulation of the AMT membrane by the mid but since it is not pistonic (but a squeezing of the pleated membrane motion) the two actions seem to not be interfering. Although I have not measured the cross-talk, it sounds great.
Old 9th July 2019, 02:00 AM   #30
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Xrk,
Very interesting. Did you post your build somewhere I can learn more about the details and any measurements you might have done?

Synergy Horn with AMTHide this!Advertise here!