Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

2 way tower idea
2 way tower idea
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2019, 01:05 PM   #21
Lancea is offline Lancea  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for all of this simulation work. I believe the SD29RDC does suffer increasing 2nd order distortion below...1.8khz? How much of a concern would that be for that cross over point though?
Old 25th June 2019, 04:26 PM   #22
Lancea is offline Lancea  United States
diyAudio Member

2nd and 3rd order
Old 25th June 2019, 07:47 PM   #23
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just a quick FWIW, I've almost finished a similar project - you can have a quick read here: Seas L22 Aluminium-coned 2-way

Still need to add photos.

An 8" midbass with a small-format compression driver solves a lot of problems, and the JBL 708P monitors (a vague inspiration for me, but not much more than that) seem quite well-regarded.

Chris
Old 27th June 2019, 05:06 AM   #24
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
An 8" midbass with a small-format compression driver solves a lot of problems Chris
Chris661, have you simulted your driver combination with just LR4/LR4 active crossovers? the OP goal.

Lancea, at the listener, the baffle + room distortion from crossing an 8" above the directivity of a tweeter is higher than harmonic distortion of close-mike measurements on just the tweeter.

Distortion... never ignore multi-driver effects.... never ignore crossover effects... never ignore room effects .... never ignore the SPL curve of your hearing.
Old 27th June 2019, 05:11 PM   #25
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Chris661, have you simulted your driver combination with just LR4/LR4 active crossovers? the OP goal.

Lancea, at the listener, the baffle + room distortion from crossing an 8" above the directivity of a tweeter is higher than harmonic distortion of close-mike measurements on just the tweeter.

Distortion... never ignore multi-driver effects.... never ignore crossover effects... never ignore room effects .... never ignore the SPL curve of your hearing.
I enjoyed listening to the towers with LR4 crossovers - I used active crossovers to get them up and running, and soon I will transfer to passive for use with a Cambridge CXA80 amplifier.
While I agree that active crossovers are generally superior, the resulting stereo system ends up more complex than I would like. An integrated amp makes life easy.

Chris

2 way tower ideaHide this!Advertise here!