Aiwa 3 way 7" high 100W speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Can anyone identify the speakers in the picture, someone is selling a pair near me, if they are any good they would be a nice match for my mini compo series 22. I have been googling for ages to try and find them with no success, owner says there is no model number, maybe the grill can be removed, could be under the grill

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• aiwa1.jpeg
    aiwa1.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 232
  • aiwa2.jpeg
    aiwa2.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 233
No, they are not good. The tweeter is a piezo, the enclosure is plastic, the crossover is a joke. Everything above 5 bucks is too much.

So you have heard these? Or are you just judging by the looks of them? Also what is the model number? Also what is wrong with plastic enclosure, there are some very decent speakers made
with plastic enclosures. Also the cross over caps can be replaced with film types, even my Bower and Wilkins has electrolytic caps in them

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Aiwa made literally hundreds of these speakers, many with the same drivers, just with a different design. No, I haven't heard these but several with the same drivers. They are awful. That got nothing to do with hifi, that's "80s ghettoblaster" range at best.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
How would they pair up against a pair of JBL control 1's for example (similar size) and probably cost, Obviously there are better speakers available, but lets compare apples against apples here.

The JBLs will not only beat them, they will bury them a mile deep (and the control 1s are maybe middle class). If you want good sound, hands off of these! Yes, you don't believe me, and that's fine, it's your money after all. But please don't start a thread 'how to upgrade my crap Aiwa speakers'.

Also the cross over caps can be replaced with film types, even my Bower and Wilkins has electrolytic caps in them
Crossover capacitors are not the problem, the problem is that the whole AIWA crossover is just one capacitor! This AIWA loudspeaker is not a hi-fi loudspeaker!
The JBLs will not only beat them, they will bury them a mile deep (and the control 1s are maybe middle class). If you want good sound, hands off of these!
+1

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Also what is wrong with plastic enclosure, there are some very decent speakers made
with plastic enclosures. Also the cross over caps can be replaced with film types, even my Bower and Wilkins has electrolytic caps in them

Well, let me get a bit more into detail here. The 'bass' driver has to be smaller than the enclosure to fit in. If the enclosure is 4 1/2" wide, how big will the driver be? Hm? The opening got, let's say 1/2" to the edge, take that off of both sides and your 'bass' driver is 3,5" wide. It got no port, no passive radiator, it does not do bass whatsoever. It simply can't with that size. The enclosure is plastic, you can feel it vibrate, it makes noise. The 'crossover' consists of a single electrolyte capacitor. Yes, you could theoretically replace it with a film type but the drivers can't by far reproduce any details on which you could notice an improvement. Some of these speakers are just 'clip in', and it's a PITA to open them. Do you see any actual screws to open the enclosure? I don't (just the push connectors are screwed, the 'screws' on the front are just decoration in the plastic) and that means they are clip-in. Since these are more than 30 years old, the plastic isn't elastic enough anymore and will break off and you can't close them anymore.

You cannot polish a turd!

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I bet these speakers come from a mini audio system with a big 1000 WATTS PMPO imprint ....

'PMPO' wasn't invented until 10-15 years later. :D But yes, that's exactly what to expect.

I would not pay more than 0.1$ for them. Not joking.
Better way to spend 5$ is to help a homeless person and feel good about myself.

5 bucks is okay, put them in the bathroom where nothing will sound great because of the hard reflections and you don't mind the speakers getting the moisture - they can't get any worse. Or the toilet, to cover the noises from yesterdays chili con carne. :D

I really like your stance towards homeless people.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
'PMPO' wasn't invented until 10-15 years later. :D But yes, that's exactly what to expect.

5 bucks is okay, put them in the bathroom where nothing will sound great because of the hard reflections and you don't mind the speakers getting the moisture - they can't get any worse. Or the toilet, to cover the noises from yesterdays chili con carne. :D

I really like your stance towards homeless people.

I never feed the homeless.
It's been known for decades that their "habit" will only cause them more issues, and I certainly don't want to be a part of that.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
And I can understand that people have different standards as to what they become interested in - audio wise.
It's what makes the world go 'round, as they say.

That's right. If you aren't into hifi, if that's not important to someone, perfectly fine by me. However, if someone reads here in the forum or even posts, then he seemingly does have interest in that matter, the ideas for 'tuning' are another hint into that direction. If someone does not read anything about hifi, that does not come to ones mind itself.

However, there are times that require warning others of bad choices, such as these plastic abominations fit for a child.

Yes, exactly. And here's why I have a problem with that: He asks about how these speakers are, if they sound good. He doesn't like the answers because he thinks 'I know about hifi, I've read so much in the magazines' and 'you can improve the sound so much by tuning' but doesn't know of the magnitude of what it actually does. Yes, it's right, you actually can improve speakers or amplifiers etc. by swapping parts for higher quality ones. But that got limits. To put it in perspective, buying a high end fishing rod doesn't put any fish into your rain water barrel, you can't get something out that's not already in there.

The mini compo series 22 is a cute little mini hifi set, it's vintage and fine for what it is. But the speakers are the most important part of the chain and you lose 90% of the sound quality there. Just because something is vintage does not make it good, back then there was a lot of crap on the market and these speakers are just that. And there's no excuse or reason to buy these, they are not the ones sold as part of the series, they look completely different, they don't sound any good, they are made cheap, not even a collector of the mini compo series 22 would have any reason to buy these.

That's right. If you aren't into hifi, if that's not important to someone, perfectly fine by me. However, if someone reads here in the forum or even posts, then he seemingly does have interest in that matter, the ideas for 'tuning' are another hint into that direction. If someone does not read anything about hifi, that does not come to ones mind itself.

Yes, exactly. And here's why I have a problem with that: He asks about how these speakers are, if they sound good. He doesn't like the answers because he thinks 'I know about hifi, I've read so much in the magazines' and 'you can improve the sound so much by tuning' but doesn't know of the magnitude of what it actually does. Yes, it's right, you actually can improve speakers or amplifiers etc. by swapping parts for higher quality ones. But that got limits. To put it in perspective, buying a high end fishing rod doesn't put any fish into your rain water barrel, you can't get something out that's not already in there.

The mini compo series 22 is a cute little mini hifi set, it's vintage and fine for what it is. But the speakers are the most important part of the chain and you lose 90% of the sound quality there. Just because something is vintage does not make it good, back then there was a lot of crap on the market and these speakers are just that. And there's no excuse or reason to buy these, they are not the ones sold as part of the series, they look completely different, they don't sound any good, they are made cheap, not even a collector of the mini compo series 22 would have any reason to buy these.

When did I say I do not believe you? I merely asked if you have heard them and if you know the P/N of them. So lets get facts right here, and as for tuning a system, I would hardly call replacing some electrolytic caps with film tuning.

And yes I have plenty experience with mods on Impedance matching , op amp upgrades with burr brown on cd players, amps, coupling capacitor upgrades. Circuit mods with great success. Including op amp upgrades (will film caps on the voltage rails) on my mini compo with massive improvement in sound.

And as I already stated I am not buying them, I was just looking for a second opinion as I could not find any info on them on the web. I already was suspect as the size was way too small to have good bass response.

"But the speakers are the most important part of the chain" I know that already....

"I've read so much in the magazines' and 'you can improve the sound so much by tuning' but doesn't know of the magnitude of what it actually does." I have ears and when i can hear an improvement to the sound that is good enough for me. And I understand "But that got limits" everything has got limits

"just because something is vintage does not make it good" I know this also when did I say this? There is plenty crap vintage stuff, but the good stuff services, and is worth repairing or even modding to make it sound slightly better. And reliability and build quality if often fare better than the majority of crap made these days, when have you ever seen a cracked solder joint on good old vintage lead solder? I have far more newer gear in for repair, with leaky capacitors, bad solder connections, damaged tracks, bad lasers on cd players where as the older gear usually needs a burst of switch cleaner or a laser cleaned and its good again.

Thanks everyone for your valuable opinion's, much appreciated:worship:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.