Sound from Speakers when not Powered?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member

It will be too much of a hassle for me to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the cables to see if its the amplifier causing this sound? The sound only happens once in a blue moon and has only occurred since the re-cap of the speaker crossovers in February this year? Its no problem at all I'm just curious to know if someone happens to know what's causing it and if anyone else has come across this glitch in the Matrix themselves? The sound is only heard when its totally quiet and only comes from one speaker or the other never both at the same time. The speakers are 8 feet away from me when I'm on my desktop computer so I'm positive the sound is coming from one or other of the woofers. My guess would be maybe there is leakage from the big motor run capacitors connected to the woofers! Is this possible?

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 132
Had a similar experience with my old computer.

If I plugged the amp into the computers audio out it would produce a loudish crackle through the speakers with the amp switched off (on standby).

The new computer with same amp and speakers does not do that.

The old computer was a MacPro, the new a Macmini and the amp was and is a Parasound Zamp.

Had a similar experience with my old computer.

This is a lightly different problem, because PC has almost always switching power supplies with lot of capacitors for filtering noises generated inside. This caps may leak some milliamperes that can be accumulated in some part acting as a relaxation oscillator. In the case of the original post, this is a spark suppressor capacitor, but .1µF seems to be very high in my opinion.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
This is a lightly different problem, because PC has almost always switching power supplies with lot of capacitors for filtering noises generated inside.

More importantly, the normal power-button will only put it standby, a lot of parts still having power. Things like USB-soundcards or other USB periphery can react to power surges etc.
Only the switch at the power supply or pulling the power plug will really switch it completely off.

More importantly, the normal power-button will only put it standby, a lot of parts still having power. Things like USB-soundcards or other USB periphery can react to power surges etc.
Only the switch at the power supply or pulling the power plug will really switch it completely off.

My pc is terrible for leaving things powered up.
My USB PICKIT 3 emulator's lights stay on.
Also the motherboard LED strips stay on flashing !
I soon found how to turn off the motherboard LED's in the bios.

This is a lightly different problem, because PC has almost always switching power supplies with lot of capacitors for filtering noises generated inside. This caps may leak some milliamperes that can be accumulated in some part acting as a relaxation oscillator.

Not quite sure I follow.

The computer is switched on all the time, it is the amp on standby that makes the noise when I plug it into it. Not as loud as when the amp is switched on too but that is so loud I fear for my speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.