Onken with Beyma 15XA38Nd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Calculated

Funny, another project, an Onken cabinet for a 30cm Sonido driver, captured my interest for this type of enclosure. When looking for a suitable coax instead of full range driver I came across the 15XA38Nd.

This particular Beyma will work in and Onken style cabinet. Calculated Vb would be around 162 Liters, with vents at 75% of Sd you're looking at a length of around 40-41 cm. F3 would be 46Hz. All in all pushing the boundaries of Onken ever so slightly, IMHO, but doable. Due to the nature of the driver, as with the full range I was "working" with, you will have to raise it from the floor quite a bit (place it high in the onken cabinet in other words).

Hope this helps.

What's the plan, what kind of wood? Thickness? Being this close to starting a similar project I'm curious as to the thoughts and ideas of others.

Btw, the calculations I showed were at Rg=0.75. You have the crossover and amplifier (I presume) so you may wish to change that value.

Btw2, I'd stay away from tall feet and would place the Onken cabinet close to the floor, on small rubber feet for example. Bring the driver up in the cabinet instead, as you said.

Can't wait to see it, photos please, if at all possible. Most of all good luck!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was very dissapointed about what was coming out at first... took the 1,5dB bridge out...
but sounded awefull! No midrange and week bass...
Then I took the pyramid foam damping completly out and put the bridge in again...
WOW! What a spectacular event! I was at the concert finally! And that with only a few watts... :)
So, with this perticular Beyma, no damping whatsoever is needed! Just the raw guts :)
All the best!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.