Onken with Beyma 15XA38Nd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Screws are out AND coils are glued in place!

I must say that I hear a more involving sound... more delicate and airy :)
This is without sarccasemn... :)

Thanks very much for that not to screw suggestion :) hahaha

I am again so fastinated with the pure sound these On-Kens will celebrate...
Guess what kind of amp I got in front...??? You wont believe it!

A Darling with 0.75W/channel... YEEEEEEES! It works very very good!

For my ears in my 35qm room slighty damnped with furniture and a rug in the middle I only need the volume attenuator half way turned up!
And its nuff loud!
Heavenly made sound from this Darling tube amp!

All the best!

Very nice looking speakers!
If you didn't live at the other end of Germany, I'd be pestering you to let me have a listen ;)

Question: did you simulate the cabinets or use existing plans?

Cheers

Es

I live near Neubrandenburg...
I made the speakers only with experianced eyes ... looking at plans and photos and figuring out how the geometric looks of wood and build would work together...
Also no simulation...
I do have experiance with wood and building furniture...
But I do all my speakers on the livingroom floor... :)
Now I have a Harman Kardon HK630... wow... never thought those speakers could sound so good!

Last edited:
Good morning, do you mean electronic measurement, what comes out?
No, I have no equipement to do those things...
But if youre interested in the physics I can measure...

Once I had an Isophon Orchester/without tweeter in a back half open enclosure with altec river and some kind of horn on top... very nice sound!

Maybe my next project will be similar to yours... I already have the Onken... :)

But, my Beymas sound really good, homogener Klang! Almost one point :)

And watts dont really make the sound... only maybe when you crank it up for disco... hahaha

I worked for 26 years in the Neubrandenburger Philharmonie as a french horn player... direct in front of the percussion section... :)

The sound from the beymas are very smooth overlaping of frequencies... very natural sound can produce ... if harmonises with your gear up front :)
Big sound from the speakers...
But I do think they need some grip from the power of the amp :)
Percussion music like Xenakis Rebounds B... :)
You need high volume to hear everything played... and the "REAL" sound feeling of the div. instruments hit... :) much fun!!!!!
Only can be achieved with grip and volume... or near field maybe... but then you dont feel the big gran cassa concert bass drum :)
Christoph

Finally recieved a Pioneer A-777... what a change!
Very smooth and delicate presentation!
Best hearing experiance yet! No listening fatigue! hahahaha
And the phono section is also great!

Interesting! Not familiar with this amp, so googled only to find such a radically different opinion, not that I pay any attention to mainstream audio, but this was so far off the dial.......... FWIW, my frame of reference is an Altec 9444A/SA for my Altecs and a Marantz SR7010 for TV/HT.

Pioneer A-777 Amplifier review and test

GM

Hi!
I've plugged the TSP (the newer variant with 38Hz Fs) for the Beyma 15XA38ND into the Excel Onken-Spreadsheet, and using 8 4x17,5cm vents the Excel tells me to go for 147l cab and 34,3cm vent length L' - is this L' the geometric length of the vents? Also, F3 is 47,3Hz - isn't that a bit high? I don't listen to electronic music or church organs, but I like my electric bass and big drums...

Cheers

Es

Correct and why I recommend using n = 5.7 where Vb = Vas/1.44 to allow using a standard box program and sim one large vent with a length you can tolerate depth wise, then divide it up by 6-8 vents to get the Onken 'look' and plenty close enough performance.

FWIW, the last pair I helped build decades ago the vents were fake, using a single large duct vent 'hidden' in a short riser, but got rave reviews, causing a few to build real replicas with nary a comment there was a difference. ;)

GM

If you're asking me, I don't have, or do, drawings. If by measurements you mean the box dimensions, then normally want the driver at some specific vertical height such as seated ear height, so how high off the floor do you want it?

Any box depth, width, height limitations?

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.