Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Looking for sealed bookshelf advice.
Looking for sealed bookshelf advice.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 03:59 AM   #1
CaptainFalcon is offline CaptainFalcon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for sealed bookshelf advice.

I'm looking to upgrade my system and I've decided I want a pair of high end bookshelves. I'd also like them to be sealed for tighter bass/less group delay ect. and to make it easier to pair with subs down the line.

To be honest though, I don't have a major interest in speaker building; I'm mainly considering the diy route due to the dearth of commercially available sealed bookshelf speakers. The only product I can think of the meets my chosen criteria is the ATC SCM 12 Pro. And based on what I've read here, when designing a speaker enclosure you need to take the cabinet volume and Q values into consideration (among other things), so it's grabbing a pair of ported speakers and plugging the holes isn't really an option of you're after optimal performance.

If I were to build a pair, I'd looking at something idiot proof with a tried and true where I can at least buy the crossovers preassembled (the Zaph ZD5 comes to mind).

I guess my question is then, how close can I get to the performance/sound quality of something like an entry level ATC with a diy, and how difficult would it be for someone with no experience building speakers? I realize most would probably recommend starting with something simpler for a first build, but I feel like it would be a waste of time to build something if it's not an upgrade to what I'm currently using.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:47 PM   #2
rstillin is offline rstillin  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out a project called the "baronettes" on parts express. I'm happy with them. They have a bit better bass than my Celestion Model 100s, and sound as good in my opinion.

The Baronettes | Parts Express Project Gallery
Old 12th June 2019, 05:09 PM   #3
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

You will find several positive reviews for the Satori line of drivers from SB_Acoustics.
Meniscus Audio sells a diy kit for the Adelphos speaker design which matches your monitor goals.

Adelphos Full Speaker Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

Woofer: Satori MW16P ,
Tweeter: Satori TW29R
Dimensions: 16 tall x 9 wide x 13.5 deep
Sensitivity: 85.5dB / 2.83V
Impedance: Nominal 8 Ohm input impedance, Impedance minimum: 6.7 Ohms at 140Hz
Bass extension: Sealed: Qtc of .7, -3dB at 53Hz, -6dB at 41Hz
Vented: Fb of 35Hz, -3dB at 44Hz, -6dB at 37Hz
Crossover: LR4 4th Order slopes at crossover point

You will need to build the cabinet to the blue-prints provided. - simple straight cuts + router.
-----
If the $350/speaker cost is to high, you could ask Meniscus to quote a price using the lower cost, similar spec, SB29RDC-4 dome tweeter instead of the Satori TW29R.

========
New improved-tech Aluminum cone drivers are becoming popular for studio monitors. Take a look at Troels SBAcoustics 61-NAC design. You can find similar diy-crossovers for these modest cost($82woof + $54tweet) drivers. You would need to purchase crossover parts, and build a cabinet from simple drawings.

SBAcoustics-61-NAC

Looking for sealed bookshelf advice.Hide this!Advertise here!