Impact off the sofa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a three seat fabric sofa from where i do my listening, sometimes i lay down and do some serious listening, zzz.....

However, when sitting up the sofa just soaks up to much high frequencies, the sound gets to dry and i have noticed i sit slightly and leaning forward to get a better and more airy sound, maybe i should get a leather sofa instead or maybe a single seater, what do you think? What are you sitting on when listening actively?

Attachments

• Hi-Fi Listening Chair.png
    Hi-Fi Listening Chair.png
    309.4 KB · Views: 312
couple of things...
1- when op says
"i have noticed i sit slightly and leaning forward to get a better and more airy sound"

This may not be from sofa at all. It may simply be that he is tilting ears at more forward angle. This can change HF hearing.

2- simply moving head forward even a few inches can in some rooms change the bass sound due to room modes. Sound can go from bass heavy to bass light with subsequent change in perception of clarity

3- I have noticed that the foam in a sofa can resonate at certain frequency. This will be felt in your body and can change perception of sound

Even more seriously . . .

I sit in an Ekornes Stressless Recliner - green leather and teak base.

The attached is a stock photo - the leather of mine is worn out through gross overuse!

Attachments

• Ekornes Stressless Recliner.jpg
    Ekornes Stressless Recliner.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 301
couple of things...
1- when op says
"i have noticed i sit slightly and leaning forward to get a better and more airy sound"

This may not be from sofa at all. It may simply be that he is tilting ears at more forward angle. This can change HF hearing.

i think it is sofa related since i have tried to move it back and forth and the problem stays with it, i have tested remove the cushions and the sound did open up, next thing i must try is to get the sofa out of the room

2- simply moving head forward even a few inches can in some rooms change the bass sound due to room modes. Sound can go from bass heavy to bass light with subsequent change in perception of clarity

that is very true, i would like to try change the orientation of my setup, firing the speakers along the room length instead of the width

3- I have noticed that the foam in a sofa can resonate at certain frequency. This will be felt in your body and can change perception of sound

that i have not noticed

I have a three seat fabric sofa from where i do my listening, sometimes i lay down and do some serious listening, zzz.....

However, when sitting up the sofa just soaks up to much high frequencies, the sound gets to dry

It may be a vertical directivity issue. When you're sitting up, you're at the null. When you're lying down, you're at the peak of the lobe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.