Impact off the sofa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
how early/late in time is good then? thanks!

i have a narrow bookshelf full of stuff behind the sofa, i thought it to bring some diffusion instead of a bare wall, maybe it works more like an damper then a diffusor?

Bookshelves generally act more as absorbers than diffusers. And the usual number is no strong early reflections for 20ms. This is to avoid something known as the Haas, or precedent, affect.

Fyi. Right next to the quote button is the multi quote button. If you click it and then click quote on another message, they both get quoted in the same response. It makes reading through the forums and responding to things a little easier and tidier.

What speakers do you use? It would seem that the treble response off the axis is not good.
Try placing your hands behind the ears emulating the "snail" effect and move around the room, to see if you can locate where the high frequency loss is.
Try not to see neighbors, close the curtains.

What speakers do you use? It would seem that the treble response off the axis is not good.
Try placing your hands behind the ears emulating the "snail" effect and move around the room, to see if you can locate where the high frequency loss is.
Try not to see neighbors, close the curtains.

i often use my hands behind my ears to shootgun my hearing :) i have discovered that i do not like when the sound change its tonalty when i turn my head, sitting so near an effective absorber like my couch was a real pain in this regard.

do not worry, i have thick drapes so no neightbors can see me :cool:

I used to run a mobile disco and it was amazing how much the sound could change from one venue to another.
Ditto Nigel!

During the sound check, some halls (e.g. church halls) were so reverberant that the sound just slapped back into your face with multiple time delays from multiple directions.

Fortunately, things weren't quite so bad when the audience arrived - human bodies are good absorbers of sound! :)

I think you need a microphone and REW

i have mics and arta and true-rta, but it was not obvious in any measurement that the sofa was the problem, absorbers tend to make measurements a cleaner read but in my case it was the problem. i think it is better to listen and judge performance by ear then trust any measurements done with a omnidirectional microphone, our hearing do not behave as any microphone/measurement package. maybe you can use room measurements to some degree in the room resonance region and in some large space areas. but i am sure the very best way is to understand how our hearing works and then adopt the room for it. so i am stuck to be patient and shoot in the dark and hope for the best :)

Thanks for answering, all are good speaker brands without doubts.
I'm glad you solved / found the ideal listening point.

A small digression:

It is a fact that achieving a clean sound inside a room - at important volumes - is a mixture of wisdom, and perhaps some luck too .....
If we move any sound system (which satisfies us enough, but ... not totally) outdoors, everything changes as if by magic!
The low sounds (reverberations, nodes and antinodes, phases, etc, etc.) spoil the best system!
At this moment I'm listening to songs from an LP I've listened to a lot (streaming through) with my PC, the sound board on board, - we already know it has a conventional DAC, nothing special - small two-way Infinity SM-65 speakers (neither nothing extraordinary), a very vintage amplifier that I built a long time ago (quasi-complementary RCA circuit 2x 70 Watts) and I am constantly surprised with details in the music that I had never heard before with my sound system in the living room which theoretically is very superior!

The explanation I find is that the speakers are on both sides of the CRT monitor at very close range, - at the height of my head - and pointed in a triangle to each of my ears, that is, it is almost like listening with an earphone, then the effects of the room are practically null, the serious ones are near field and the medium and high range are omnipresent given their immediacy, and the depth is clearly perceived .....

Anyway, just a comment, regards, friend ....:)

Maria Creuza - Voce Abusou (Vinyl, LP, Album) | Discogs

thank you :)

when i build speakers it can take some time to really get a good grip of the performance, a small change can at first sound very pleasing but in the long run sound very annoying. removing the sofa was an improvement indeed, but i think i need to get more space to the wall behind me. i think i want a system that sounds big and clear, like a "wall of sound" and headphones mixed together. but first i will move my speakers and listening chair to the middle of the room and set up a very nearfield studio like setup.

many years ago i bought tool's book 'sound reproduction', maybe it is time for me to read it :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.