Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Why not the Aurum Cantus AST25120?
Why not the Aurum Cantus AST25120?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 03:07 AM   #11
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

See, the Aurum Cantus isn't bad. But don't be impressed by the 98dB since you'll get only 93dB or, with the baffle step, likely less. If you can live with a few dB less, the Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 performs the same for 1/3 the price. It's identical except the magnets.

More linear, but more expensive, look at the mundorf AMTs.

Same price and equally high (or higher) spl, look at the ESS AMT-1.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:52 AM   #12
mandoman is online now mandoman  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am not impressed by high efficiency figures since the final spl is most likely dictated by other parts of the speaker, not the tweeter. The Dayton AMTPRO-4 beams, the Aurum Cantus does not, so it is certainly not identical. I have not tested or used the Dayton, but the measurements by HiFiCompass is not particularly impressive. I measured my AC AST some years ago and I remember it as measuring very good, and more important sounded better than any other tweeter I have tried. My measurements agreed with others, but don't ask me for them because I don't have the data any more. The Mundorf's look to be excellent, but very expensive. The ESS AMT-1 I believe is no longer available. Parts Express list it as no longer available. Better and cheaper? Nothing so far. Personally I would buy the smaller AC AST again because it is more cost effective and spl is plenty for anything I am ever likely to build.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
The Dayton AMTPRO-4 beams, the Aurum Cantus does not, so it is certainly not identical.
The Dayton and the Aurum got the same dimensions of the diaphragm in width and length, and since the dimensions of the sound emitting surface physically determines the radiation pattern, that means they will beam practically exactly the same.

Quote:
I have not tested or used the Dayton, but the measurements by HiFiCompass is not particularly impressive.
They need some equalizing, that's correct. The Aurum need less but still need it too.

Quote:
I measured my AC AST some years ago and I remember it as measuring very good, and more important sounded better than any other tweeter I have tried. My measurements agreed with others, but don't ask me for them because I don't have the data any more.
They are more linear but not flat either. Equalized and level adjusted, you can't tell them apart from the Daytons.

Quote:
The Mundorf's look to be excellent, but very expensive. The ESS AMT-1 I believe is no longer available. Parts Express list it as no longer available. Better and cheaper? Nothing so far. Personally I would buy the smaller AC AST again because it is more cost effective and spl is plenty for anything I am ever likely to build.
Just because PE doesn't have them, they are not available anymore? The ESS AMT-1 are still available in different shops. Since they are roughly the same price and more linear and got a higher spl (I know, not an argument for you) I'd go for them instead of the aurum. And yes, they are better. If I wouldn't need the spl I'd also go for the smaller ones since they don't beam that extreme vertically.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:12 AM   #14
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

If you're into AMT's then ok.

DAYTON AUDIO AMTPRO-4 (Tweeter AMT, 4 Ohm, 100 Wmax)

I know of few tweeters (not AMT) that i'd use before this AMT.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:32 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
These measurements look a lot different than the ones (several) I've seen. None of them got a that high peak and that much beaming. The decay is a lot worse, that's usually a sign they were not assembled correctly or the felt touches the membrane. If you do that, you can let every tweeter look bad.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 | HiFiCompass

E: These also look worse than the ones I've seen.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:35 AM   #17
mandoman is online now mandoman  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Dayton and the Aurum got the same dimensions of the diaphragm in width and length, and since the dimensions of the sound emitting surface physically determines the radiation pattern, that means they will beam practically exactly the same.
You are not listening. The AC AST DOES NOT BEAM. I was expecting mine to beam, just like the ribbon I had, which was about the same vertical dimension. However, it does not beam at all like a ribbon, the vertical dispersion is not that much different from a dome. Very surprising, and I have no idea what AC have done for this to occur, but it is real. Others have noted this characteristic as well and it is difficult to believe because you would expect it to beam according to the dimensions as you said. But, it does not beam.

Glad to hear that the ESS is still available.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:46 AM   #18
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
These measurements look a lot different than the ones (several) I've seen. None of them got a that high peak and that much beaming. The decay is a lot worse, that's usually a sign they were not assembled correctly or the felt touches the membrane. If you do that, you can let every tweeter look bad.

Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 | HiFiCompass

E: These also look worse than the ones I've seen.
You could be right or it could be very poor QC. Aurum Cantus is no exception to that mater.

The Bordeaux - Crossover Help Needed - DIY Gurus please chime in

Updated Bordeaux crossover now available...

Quote:
You are not listening. The AC AST DOES NOT BEAM. I was expecting mine to beam, just like the ribbon I had, which was about the same vertical dimension. However, it does not beam at all like a ribbon, the vertical dispersion is not that much different from a dome. Very surprising, and I have no idea what AC have done for this to occur, but it is real. Others have noted this characteristic as well and it is difficult to believe because you would expect it to beam according to the dimensions as you said. But, it does not beam.

Glad to hear that the ESS is still available.
Baaming of AMT tweeter of that lenght isn't negotiable. It is a matter of physics. Or you will provide us with measurements that will prove ICG wrong ?

Last edited by Zvu; 12th June 2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are not listening. The AC AST DOES NOT BEAM.
I've heard you. But that's physically not possible.

Quote:
I was expecting mine to beam, just like the ribbon I had, which was about the same vertical dimension. However, it does not beam at all like a ribbon, the vertical dispersion is not that much different from a dome.
Well, the membrane isn't parted into different sections which reproduce different frequency ranges, that would be the only possible way to prevent them from beaming but they aren't doing that.

Quote:
Very surprising, and I have no idea what AC have done for this to occur, but it is real. Others have noted this characteristic as well and it is difficult to believe because you would expect it to beam according to the dimensions as you said. But, it does not beam.
I'm sorry but I don't buy that.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:51 AM   #20
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Aurum Cantus seems to have traditional ribbons (such as the G1) that do beam, and "Aero Striction" ones, that does not. Apparently.

Why not the Aurum Cantus AST25120?Hide this!Advertise here!