Munich 2019 -Sb Acoustics room

Thx for your input Was trying to touch base with sb Acoustics directly obviously not successfully. That tower looked so good I thought I would give it a try to find out more sooner. Hopefully they will ship drivers out for sale soon and release some design details

Hi Jonasz. No those are not ones I saw. I also saw it on YouTube but it’s a three way with what appears to be 4 woofers in maybe bandpass enclosures with mid and tweeter only facing forward and it uses not yet released for sale carbon fibre cone material. Thx

Pictures taken from the SB Acoustics Facebook page.

SB Acoustics - Electronics - 176 Photos | Facebook

Mods please remove if this is not allowed.

Three photos of the two floor standers and one with the mid dome on the table. Hope this helps.

Interested to see how the Satori dome stacks up against the Morel EM1308 and the new Tex woofers fit in the lineup.

A bit of fun but shows the dome mid in a bit more detail. YouTube

Attachments

• 7F7D4E3B-5695-4B8E-A187-23F88411B101.jpeg
    7F7D4E3B-5695-4B8E-A187-23F88411B101.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,966
  • 3EA9AC9F-A58B-47B2-BD57-413B844160AC.jpeg
    3EA9AC9F-A58B-47B2-BD57-413B844160AC.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,949
  • A621F882-892E-4C59-AE12-E5141AEF78F1.jpeg
    A621F882-892E-4C59-AE12-E5141AEF78F1.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,942
  • 790743D2-A87E-4C24-9DD2-DF8273C93A31.jpeg
    790743D2-A87E-4C24-9DD2-DF8273C93A31.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:
Hi All, the photos are from the phison audio room who were sharing with SB Audio.

Sonny is developing the speakers, both the tall speakers and the tomb stone.

I am interested in the taller speaker and he is telling me that the drivers are very new and "we have to wait 2 month before any production is running".

You can contact him on

www.phisonaudio.dk <info@phisonaudio.dk>

Hi Ulrik, Sorry, my misunderstanding.

I was talking to Sonny from Phison audio in the room at the show and he suggested that the taller model, which sounded fabulous, would be available as a kit at some point when the drivers became available. I have been communicating with him to get updates as to when they become available .

As you have designed and built them, is that the case, can i join your mailing list on these kits?

Dan

@snax; we have no plans to make it available as a kit, though maybe later we will share some details. There's not much to it, actually. It is a 3-way speaker. There are four SB34NRX75-16 woofers per side (slot loaded open baffle) connected in parallel - the high Qts makes this driver ideal for OB. The mid and tweeter are the new MW16TX-4 and TW29TXN-4. This section is aperiodic (i.e. the entire back of the midrange enclosure is a large flow resistor). A passive network crosses over the mid and tweeter (the crossover point is relatively high at about 3.3 kHz). The lower crossing and woofer EQ is done with a miniDSP (2x4HD) - crossover point is 200 Hz.

@Ugg10; we have never compared it in listening to any similar drivers. This is more of a filler driver than a broadband midrange driver. However, in the demo speakers, it covers the range from 1-6 kHz (see response curve below - measured 20° off-axis in our listening room at a distance of 1.5 meters, input voltage was about 0.7 V). It is quite smooth and very detailed - and a little bit forward sounding.

Menara_response.jpg

Ulrik, many thanks much appreciated and very useful.

I would be looking to sandwich it between a pair of Dayton ES180TIA and a SB26CDC in a 3 way BR 40l box. So using from approx 700hz to 4khz looks like this may be possible, my alternatives are the Satori MR13P or the Scan Speak 10f8424 which would both have to be moved down the frequency domain to 350-3000hz use.

That's an awfully big flange for a filler driver. The 6kHz xover above is going to have severely sub optimal off axis performance. I'd want to cross something of that size at ~600-2.5kHz.

Most 2" domes can handle 800Hz xovers. I was expecting this to comfortably handle 600Hz.

@5th element; this may not be the right driver for your application. Anyway, if you think about it, the flange is actually not that big (relative to the voice coil diameter, which is 61 mm on this driver, the flange is smaller than your typical 100-104 mm flange on a 26-29 mm tweeter). I understand what you mean, of course, but there is a reason for the flange being this big (it is 130 mm in diameter, by the way). By experience, the bolt circle diameter needs to be at least 14 mm larger than the baffle cut-out diameter for the driver. In this case, it is 18 mm larger, so we could have shrunk a few millimeters, but that is all (see my reply to Pida below). It is not that it cannot handle lower frequencies but it starts to roll off at about 800 Hz, so I wouldn't use it below this frequency. I do not consider it to be a problem to use it up to 6 kHz, though I wouldn't use it higher than that either, as it would have too much of a negative impact on power response. At 6 kHz it is 2 dB down 30° off-axis, which is also the case for a 6 inch midwoofer at 3 kHz - and many excellent (passive) 2-way speakers with 6 inch drivers are crossed over at about 3 kHz. The MD60N-6 (that is the model name) has a very smooth/clean dispersion characteristic well beyond 6 kHz.

@Pida; as mentioned above, the flange OD is 130 mm. However, the faceplate and/or rear chamber can easily be removed without anything falling apart or risking any damage to the driver - the butterfly assembly stays fixed/clamped and there is a stainless steel mesh covering the pole vent hole that leads into the chamber. We deliberately made it a versatile mechanical design. This make it suitable for rear mounting into a waveguide or you can put a different faceplate or chamber on it if you want to (the chamber is quite tricky, though). This also allows us to ship the raw/basic driver to customers (i.e. without faceplate or chamber mounted) - the retail version remains a fully assembled driver, of course.

Last edited: