Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

What will you do to backside of the round-over? What thickness in general are you going for using this sand? Sand & epoxi?
The back side stays as you see it, it's really not critical. Or what do you mean?
They told me they need at least 10 - 12 mm for a part like this not to break during manipulation (to be sure it doesn't).

Last edited:
On the website of the snail enclosure speakers it is stated that they finish with a special layer because else the material is too brittle, are you aware of this? And have you gotten info from the manufacturing company about the possibillities to make the material less brittle?

I can imagine that some sort of epoxy coating could be applied, maybe sprayed on.

... (yeah, it's a bit hard to see)

Attachments

• sand-back.JPG
    sand-back.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 214
So gedlee, do we need to polish the inside of a horn/wg or it will sound "course"...?

//
I don't see how any roughness small compared to a wavelength could have much of an effect acoustically.

Because of boundary layer separation the surface of devices for fluid dynamics should rather be coarse.

This is true of static flow, but acoustic waves are different and this kind of concept is ill-applied in this situation. There is no static flow, only oscillations.

I have always been interested in porous boundaries as they would have a big effect on all but waves parallel to the surface (the zero mode). In this later case the effect would be smallish, but for HOMs it would be large.

Last edited: