Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Finally I have it working (there's always something more important to do...). I have about 8.5 ms of reflection-free time (1.5m tube).

I'm still only experimenting with the setup to see how it works - this is B&C DE360, BTW (absolute SPL levels not calibrated).

Attachments

• DE360-m1.png
    DE360-m1.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 399
  • DE360-m1fr.png
    DE360-m1fr.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
The raw responses (so far without any calibration or correction) of the six microphones in the tube.
I'm only afraid that the disturbances caused by the mic mountings will be too high. How to check that?

That would be hard to check with acoustics.

I'm thinking that the levels < 2 kHz should track each other. I see no reason that they should be different. Maybe you can just adjust the levels for 1 kHz -> 2 kHz to match.

The print was two-part (and maybe there were still some issues, I don't know).

Frankly I'm astonished by the DI curve - I wouldn't expect such good results for a free standing horn of this size but maybe it's an advantage after all.

Attachments

• proto2_comp_s_2s.jpg
    proto2_comp_s_2s.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 196
  • proto2_comp_s_3s.jpg
    proto2_comp_s_3s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 202
  • proto_mk3_running.jpg
    proto_mk3_running.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Nice! Could you please repost the impedance plots for this particular horn?

//
I have only an impedance for a flat source wavefront and smaller throat angle. For the final shape the throat angle was increased to better match a typical driver. So this is not as easy.
It's quite easy to trade between loading and beaming however - you can choose or mix the two in whatever way you prefer. This is what I chose.

attachment.php

Attachments

• B-horn_10-260-imp.png
    B-horn_10-260-imp.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 665
Last edited: