Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I'm afraid you would have to call anything with an impulse response longer than an infinitely short duration to have a "hysteresis", i.e. the ability to "remember" its history beyond input stimulus. I'm only not sure that would be very meaningfull. In this sense the horn really does "remember" that e.g. an impulse was sent before because it takes some for the sound waves to leave the horn - can be bouncing around for a while. :confused:

This tool is of tremendous help to me. Thanks for making it available!

Will future iterations allow for different curves? Horn exits projected onto a curved surface?

Below is my mockup of a 9.6" waveguide on my radian 760neo, fresh off the printer after I knocked down the support a little.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Hysteresis - Wikipedia

"One type of hysteresis is a lag between input and output. An example is a sinusoidal input X(t) that results in a sinusoidal output Y(t), but with a phase lag φ... Such behavior can occur in linear systems... it is mathematically equivalent to a transfer function in linear filter theory and analogue signal processing."

I just don't get why would anyone want to talk about that as of hysteresis. I have never seen the term used like that.

Last edited:
Will future iterations allow for different curves? Horn exits projected onto a curved surface?
What do you mean by different curves?

Future release I'm working on should allow for almost anything: non-planar exits, arbitrary cross sections, even non-circular throats... Anything you could imagine, provided you will be able to express that in the language of the waveguide formula parameters. I guess that will take volunteers to develop such models. The tool will definitely allow for this and some basic shapes may be incorporated there right away.

I only can't say when it will be ready. Honestly, I'm not overly motivated...

Hysteresis - Wikipedia

"One type of hysteresis is a lag between input and output. An example is a sinusoidal input X(t) that results in a sinusoidal output Y(t), but with a phase lag φ... Such behavior can occur in linear systems... it is mathematically equivalent to a transfer function in linear filter theory and analogue signal processing."

I just don't get why would anyone want to talk about that as of hysteresis. I have never seen the term used like that.

Agreed, by that definition all systems have hysteresis.

What is the corner radius, Jacek?
Anyway, you can modify it as you wish -

Code:
  ThroatDiameter = 25.4                 ; [mm]
  ThroatAngle = 7                       ; [deg]
  Coverage_Horizontal = 73.5              ; [deg]
  Coverage_Vertical = 73.5                ; [deg]
  Depth = 100                           ; [mm]
  Depth.ConicSectionPart = 0.2          ; 0.5
  Shape = raw2rect                      ; raw | raw2rect
  Shape.FixedPart = 0.2                 ; 0.2
  Shape.CornerRadius = 35.0             ; [mm]
  SEExp = 8                            ; superellipse exponent

Attachments

• a9.png
    a9.png
    155 KB · Views: 543
So please set the right entry angle for this driver. It should be easy enough to keep the current size. I sketched this one very quickly but now when I compare it to some other results it seems to be really good!

The challange now will be to find a good woofer. Because of the relatively small size it needs to be crossed quite high, like 1.5 - 1.8 kHz... There will be not many readily available drivers capable of that.

Attachments

• a9-pmap3.png
    a9-pmap3.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 134
  • a9-2.png
    a9-2.png
    270.7 KB · Views: 133