Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

So far I haven't figured out how to do it. The whole profile is very different for a different throat.

Example.

Attachments

• image004.png
    image004.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 627
A midrange snappiness and 'paper' warmth? Now you've lost me. Do you mean it will sound more neutral? I don't know but I'd rather not discuss a sound of different cone materials here. I don't have much to add anyway.

There's not much to add because there is not much there. Over on another thread they are obsessing over THD and IMD measurements which have been proven to be completely unreliable aspects of a loudspeaker. I have better things to do than get into the depths of audio folklore and mysticism.

Turk, why do you seem to get off on poking and prodding Dr. Geddes? I’ve been lurking these forums for many years and have never understood you and a certain other member from Toronto reason for doing so. It’s why I thought it was rich when you were earlier asking for ‘math to english translations’ in this thread. Sorry to others reading this to have called you out personally, but us DIY’ers are lucky to have an industry professional like Dr. Geddes share his knowledge on this forum. I’m certain that you know where he stands on these topics, and have for many years. This is unfortunately why most industry insiders stay away from these forums. Please stop.

Last edited:
Turk, why do you seem to get off on poking and prodding Dr. Geddes? I’ve been lurking these forums for many years and have never understood you and a certain other member from Toronto reason for doing so. It’s why I thought it was rich when you were earlier asking for ‘math to english translations’ in this thread. Sorry to others reading this to have called you out personally, but us DIY’ers are lucky to have an industry professional like Dr. Geddes share his knowledge on this forum. I’m certain that you know where he stands on these topics, and have for many years. This is unfortunately why most industry insiders stay away from these forums. Please stop.

Stop or just go away! you certainly are not pleasant to have around :mad:

Audio Elite is surely referring to me...
to BradH if pursuing a line of inquiry is viewed as "poking" or "prodding" my apologies, i must be mistaken in thinking my questions are fair and legitimate...

You have been very antagonistic to me in the past, I have to assume that this would continue. If, on the other hand, you want to have a civil dialog on distortion then that's fine, but if you return to the same old attacks then I will revert back to ignoring you.

such as...? is talk of distortion really folklore and mysticism...?

What can I say about nonlinear distortion that I haven't already said 1000 times? It is not an issue for a modern competent loudspeaker design so why would I spend much time on this issue?

I am doing art exclusively these days.

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 485
Then your question "why" doesn't have any sense, right? The proper question at the moment would be "what is it that I'm hearing in OS waveguides that I don't like?" And that's very difficult to answer - it can be anything, at least as long as the testing is not done blind.

- No, in fact I haven't heard any of these myself yet. Still in progress... :)

For an amplitude modulation to happen, there must be a nonlinearity. So which nonlinearity are you refering to? I don't believe there is a nonlinear behaviour in OS waveguides, or horns in general, that could be clearly audible. And if there was, OS waveguides should not suffer that much. How can you be so sure? I'm sorry but it sounds as a random impression to me. It still may be a linear distortion you are in fact hearing (and I'll give you that you really hear it) but that would mean there's still a lot of to be improved in the particular implementation. I've heard many OS waveguides and wouldn't ever speak of an "amplitude modulation". To me it allways sounded as clear as I could imagine regardless the sound level. YMMV, of course.

Last edited: