Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

JBL obviously decided to gloss over specific details for the final specsheet in order to make the product 'look' better, more believable or: less stupid.
100dB sensitivity and (-10dB) 35Hz-18kHz 4pi, max. continuous SPL: 124dB...

Attachments

• C211 Preliminary Cut-Sheet.png
    C211 Preliminary Cut-Sheet.png
    384.9 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
It could be informative to see the polars. I think it would show that this is not a particularly good way how to do it - the termination seems too abrupt. Maybe (just my conjecture) for bigger horns there is a less detrimental effect but in this case it wouldn't surprise me if the result was not very good. A smaller waveguide in a rounded baffle could do a better service.

Last edited:
It could be informative to see the polars. I think it would show that this is not a particularly good way how to do it - the termination seems too abrupt. Maybe (just my conjecture) for bigger horns there is a less detrimental effect but in this case it wouldn't surprise me if the result was not very good. A smaller waveguide in a rounded baffle could do a better service.

Dear Marcel I can print new one if you send me file. That waveguide was early STH. Project enclosed.

Attachments

• waveguide_d99_25mm_357mm_282mm_125mm.zip
    787.1 KB · Views: 67
My friend bought DE360 and I printed STH 12", he also bought Dayton waveguide. He preferred Dayton for timbre and STH for imaging. He didn't like HF - lack of power on maraca instruments so gave me DE360 that collects dust and bought Daytons.

Ah Yes, I forgot about those ;)
Which crossover was used between the DE360 and the (I suppose) 6 or 8" woofer?

The 3-way with ring- and mid-dome is another project?

Last edited:
The DSA315 is virtually resonance-free up to nearly 4 kHz, which is not bad for a 12" woofer. Then is starts to ring (an aluminum cone) but that should be high enough to be filtered out sufficiently - I hope.
- This is one of the many woofers I have lying around here. It may still end up in some direct radiating three-way.

Attachments

• DSA315-imp.png
    DSA315-imp.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
The DSA315 is virtually resonance-free up to nearly 4 kHz, which is not bad for a 12" woofer. Then is starts to ring (an aluminum cone) but that should be high enough to be filtered out sufficiently - I hope.
- This is one of the many woofers I have lying around here. It may still end up in some direct radiating three-way.

Did you mount it in a cab/baffle to get an impression of the sound signature?
Thick rubber rol surround + metal cone may lack midrange snappiness and 'paper' warmth.
I have to admit, the plots look promising and the motor structure appears to be properly engineered.

Last edited: