Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

For a while I returned to a free standing R-OSSE, needing a horn for BMS 4554 1.4" driver.
It's including a throat adapter (making the driver exit section a part of the profile), i.e. starting at 16 mm diameter. It's still hard to beat.
(⌀380 x 190 mm, including 43mm adapter)

Solved in circular symmetry mode:
BMS4554-1-R=190_k=3.4.png
BMS4554-R-OSSE-2.PNG

Solved as a general 3D mesh - I wanted to know how worse it would be, not much:
BMS4554-1-R=190_k=3.4-3D.png

BTW, the formulas in the paper are now finally all correct, hopefully (should be, as I implemented a new code based on that and it works).

Last edited:
For a while I returned to a free standing R-OSSE, needing a horn for BMS 4554 1.4" driver.
It's including a throat adapter (making the driver exit section a part of the profile), i.e. starting at 16 mm diameter. It's still hard to beat.
(⌀380 x 190 mm, including 43mm adapter)

Solved in circular symmetry mode:
View attachment 1068256 View attachment 1068261

Solved as a general 3D mesh - I wanted to know how worse it would be, not much:
View attachment 1068257

BTW, the formulas in the paper are now finally all correct, hopefully (should be, as I implemented a new code based on that and it works).
Nice.

How far inside a infinite baffle can you put the driver without it causing excessive damage to the response?

Any measurements on this 19.5” R-OSSE?
That bigger sand horn was never made.
If all goes well I'll be measuring HF1440 in this horn next week (R-OSSE/KVAR variant), about the same size:

CE3360-36.png

How far inside a infinite baffle can you put the driver without it causing excessive damage to the response?
I don't know. I mean, there's really no point in doing that. This is already free standing, no baffle around.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure, the screen removed. BMS 4555 would be even better but 4554 is what I have. My next candidate is FANE CD131. What's needed is as large exit angle as possible with as small phase plug exit diameter as possible. This way two things can be improved - 1) extending smooth directivity control at HF, 2) eliminating a reflection otherwise caused by wavefront mismatch at the driver/WG interface. Well, at least in theory.

Last edited:
What's needed is as large exit angle as possible with as small phase plug exit diameter as possible.
that is only possible way to make it, otherwise there is no room for adapter. When you suggest that couple years ago I tried to design it for several CDs but no space if want to implement the best curves which are opening quite fast
I suppose the k is quite high and coverage angle on lower side in your design to allow CD exit implementation.
Btw graphs looking excellent

Sure, not all drivers are equally suitable for this.

- If a really constant DI up to 20 kHz is the priority (for me it isn't), it's always possible to start with a short straight duct section, allowing a faster opening afterwards. This won't have any negative effect on polar response but will add some reflection that will need to be corrected via EQ.

Last edited: