Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

In my view, such a tool is particularly good for making studies where you change some parameter(s) just to see the trends. By now it's obvious to me that the mouth termination is of paramount importance. The shape of cross-section may help a bit and it really seems that with a rectangular variety the beamwith control is somewhat more stable at the lower end. That is what I found so far.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Regarding actual making of the horns -
I'm still wondering what would happen if the horn would be just assembled (glued together) from many thin slices so it would make a stairwise surface. I would have a concern about one or two such discontinuities but what if there are tens of them? Has anyone ever tried to see what would happen?

Not really a good idea I guess -

Attachments

• 9kHz_far.png
    9kHz_far.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 824
  • 9kHz.png
    9kHz.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 821
  • raw_steps.png
    raw_steps.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 850
Hello Marc!

Congrats to this awesome work! I wish to have more knowledge about ABEC3 simulations in order to push my own work. A question to your small.cfg example. If I open this in ABEC3 then I see a bended interface surface that is beyond the infinite baffle plane. Why is the interface formed like a spheroid? I would have expected to see it exactly at mouth and planar?

br!
Bernd

I actually do it as expected - see ABEC documentation regarding infinite baffle, this sub-domain boundary should be "in front" of the baffle. I'm not sure it would work being exactly in the baffle plane - I haven't tried that. It could be a cylinder (or that sort of shape) but a sperical cap is very simple to do and it proved good numerical stability. Although I didn't spend much time comparing various interfaces this one seems to work just fine, better than a cylinder in some cases.

Attachments

• abec_ib_help.png
    abec_ib_help.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 824
I'm also testing a bit deeper OS waveguides with generous mouth flares. The directivity control is still usable IMHO and the smoothes is quite good -
I'm still a little tempted to try it unbaffled but than it gets worse very quicky. I just like the looks (and the much smaller enclosure visually).

Attachments

• spl.png
    spl.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 806
  • pmap.png
    pmap.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 809
  • oswg-d-stl4.JPG
    oswg-d-stl4.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 799
  • oswg-d-stl.JPG
    oswg-d-stl.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:
I can generate that shape (as anyone can) but I don't have the meshing algorithm for full space sims finished yet. So I can't test now. Also the lip is now bended only to 90 deg back - I could do changes to extend it further. OK, I'm making notes in the TO-DO list.

ThroatDiameter = 50 ; [mm]
ThroatAngle = 0 ; [deg]
Coverage_Horizontal = 60 ; [deg]
Coverage_Vertical = 60 ; [deg]
Depth = 351 ; [mm]
Depth.ConicSectionPart = 0.3 ; 0.5
Shape = raw
SEExp = 2.0 ; superellipse exponent

Termination = free-air ; baffle | free-air
Termination.Scale = 0.468

Mesh.AngularSegments = 64
Mesh.DepthSegments = 30