Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2020, 06:25 AM   #1531
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's the new waveguides from Samsung that have been patented, thanks to Ro808 for the link (US20200077180A1 - Waveguide for smooth off-axis frequency response
- Google Patents
)

Here's a waveguide similar to the Samsung waveguide, with eight slits

Here's a waveguide similar to the JBL "image control waveguides" with four slits

What I notice with this, is that the eight slit waveguide is about 2dB more efficient from 1-2khz, but the four slit waveguide is more efficient from 2-4khz.

Personally I prefer the four slit design. JBL seems to feel the same way; they've patented a waveguide with eight slits, but haven't sold any, AFAIK.
Old 25th April 2020, 07:02 AM   #1532
mabat is offline mabat  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I have a new one
- Pick your favourite shape.
Attached Images
File Type: png mm.PNG (164.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: png mm-h.png (18.1 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by mabat; 25th April 2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 25th April 2020, 07:33 AM   #1533
diyAudio Member

Ath 4.5.0 has been released

First - the script files ARE NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE.
I'm sorry for this but I had to do it, otherwise the config items wouldn't make much sense anymore since a lot has been changed and rewritten. Please go through the manual, it's really not difficult to modify the old files for the new version if necessary. There are some different concepts of the geometry specification however. Don't hesitate to ask me.

ATH - Advanced Transition Horns

Last edited by mabat; 25th April 2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 25th April 2020, 08:01 AM   #1534
Dave Zan is offline Dave Zan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
As in: a blacksmith is a smith who works with iron and may know s..t about horses?
A blacksmith works with iron to makes horseshoes but is too busy to make shoes for his own horse.
The modern idiom is that the car mechanic's car is never fixed.

Best wishes
David
Old 25th April 2020, 10:12 AM   #1535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabat View Post
There has been some more results of even smaller waveguides during the recent months, based on my tools - ...
This was the smaller one, only 23 cm (~9") wide.

Measured with B&C DE502 (courtesy of Petr Mervart). These are great results for such a small horn, IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TWR_ATH8_proto_meass.jpg (28.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg ath8_3D_proto_done.jpg (38.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: png DE502_ath8_proto_v1_RAW.png (64.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: png DE502_ath8_proto_v1_RAW_20NORM.png (40.8 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by mabat; 25th April 2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 25th April 2020, 11:32 AM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
...Here's a waveguide similar to the Samsung waveguide, with eight slits ...
I see you have really mastered the piece
BTW, in 4.5.0 you can morph it to a circluar mouth outline as well.
Old 25th April 2020, 03:17 PM   #1537
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would you consider this as a smooth enough transition? This is a waveguide of about the size of your Abbeys (12" woofer). The axial problems are also vitually gone (the graph is for 0 - 120 deg / 10). I would put this as my piece of evidence for all the points just mentioned. As for the curve C, I don't know if it is any special but a segment of an Euler spiral (or the curve corresponding to my waveguide formula) works very well as the remedy for most of the problems as you can see.
That device doesn't look axisymmetric, which is what I was talking about. Yes, it works very well, but that was not the point. I would like to see he actual DI curve as it can be very hard to tell from just polar plots.

Quote:
Again, this is what hapens if you change the mouth round-over from abrupt to gradual for one particular axisymmetric OS waveguide - I don't know whether the hole is eliminated, went away or diminished to neglibility, but for the best transition it is just not there anymore.
There was never any question that a smoother mouth flare results in improved axial response, the question was if there is a better C than just a large radius. I don't see this as proving the point either way.

I'm not saying that one cannot do what you suggest, just that you make some generalized statements that I just don't see as true - in general. Your examples show specific cases that support your points, but they cannot be taken as generalizations of what happens in all cases.
Old 25th April 2020, 04:09 PM   #1538
diyAudio Member

Without any ambition to sound generic I think the data presented so far speak for themselves. And I believe that for such a smooth polars it should not be that hard to at least estimate the smoothness of the DI, it's really not that cryptic. There is really no issue with lowering the crossover point with a good horn (axisymmetric or not), that much is obvious I think.

I was actually quite specific when I said that based on my experience and all the results acquired so far, the waveguides in Gedlee loudspeakers could be improved by employng a better mouth flare with a more gradual change of curvature.

This all seems so obvious to me that I find it almost embarassing to discuss it further. It is perfectly fine if don't agree with me on this, that's really not my business.
Old 25th April 2020, 04:28 PM   #1539
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry if I embarrassed you, that was not my intent. But the statement "the waveguides in Gedlee loudspeakers could be improved by employing a better mouth flare with a more gradual change of curvature." is not proven by the data. If the waveguide is allowed to get larger then yes, this would be true, but given the physical constraints that I stated, it is not clear that it is true.
Old 25th April 2020, 04:32 PM   #1540
diyAudio Member

When I designed those huge speakers (12" + 1.4" crossed at 650 Hz), I estimated the power response from the data - from this the DI is the difference between a (chosen) polar and the thick line. This was for the frontal hemisphere only.
Attached Images
File Type: png B2_A_V3.png (41.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by mabat; 25th April 2020 at 04:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!