Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2019, 05:45 AM   #101
mabat is offline mabat  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylle View Post
When you talk exit angle on a compressiondriver, how is that defined?
Usually there is some length of a conical section at the very end of a driver exit, so this cone opening angle is meant by that - the horn should then just match smoothly. There are exceptions.
Old 12th July 2019, 05:56 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
... I'd appreciate to get a *.step-file as well, which would ease up the transfer to a CAD program to finally print the horn. Any possibility?
Hi Christoph,

that's not at all easy. To get a STEP or IGES file I would have to use some surface splines (NURBS) to get the same results as I have now and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. I agree that STL is probably not really the best option but it's all I have for now - it's just very easy to do. I could make the STL as a volume instead of just a sheet - that may ease the processing, I don't know. But as I understand, there are ways to do that in CADs.

I will add an option of a "point cloud" output. That may also help some.

Last edited by mabat; 12th July 2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 06:02 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
Can this program be use to make full range wood horns? Or mid/high wood horns?
You would have to explain what do you mean by that. The program uses some basic set of parameters to get a horn. It depends on your needs if this is sufficient or not. Basically you can combine hyperbola and a clothoid in various ways along the contour, in any dimensions you like.

Last edited by mabat; 12th July 2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:42 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

I thought about the dome tweeters. The biggest problem I see might be that the real dome (especially a soft one) will not move coherently as a one body at the higher frequencies where the simulation would be the most interesting. I will probably implement it, as it is not difficult, but I would be hesistant to make much of it. Maybe for hard domes it will give more reliable results. But hey, it's similar to compression drivers flat wavefront assumption.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:28 PM   #105
danibosn is offline danibosn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

I know that you are already couple of steps forward but need some help with ath4 application.
I followed instructions, extract ath4, copy in same directory gmsh-4.3.dll, made cmd shortcut and copy file path in "start in". When I double click cmd shortcut nothing happen, actually new cmd window blink for a second and disappear. I rename ath4 to ath4.exe and tried again, same thing.
After that I've tried to go regular procedure: open cmd, type cd (file path), enter, type start and application name (both ath4 and ath4.exe) and same thing happens.
After first fail I deleted all files and download and repeat everything again on two computers with same results.
So please is there any known solution ...
Attached Images
File Type: png cmd.png (182.1 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by danibosn; 12th July 2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:45 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Don't type "start ath4", just "ath4".

There is a chapter "3. Working example" in the user guide. Please go step by step as shown. You will also need to change the output directory in the script file(s): Out.DestDir = "..."
http://www.at-horns.eu/release/Ath4_UserGuide.pdf

Last edited by mabat; 12th July 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:25 PM   #107
1hiep0 is online now 1hiep0  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I see that you could view .stl but could it be used to modify? Would be nice.
Thanks,
Old 15th July 2019, 04:30 PM   #108
danibosn is offline danibosn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thank' Marcel

of course it was about me, after follow manual and your advice's everything working fine
Old 16th July 2019, 06:32 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

BTW, an interesting driver for home use seems to be the new Celestion CDV1-1757.
CDV1-1757 - Vocal Range Compression Driver
Old 16th July 2019, 06:48 AM   #110
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabat View Post
I thought about the dome tweeters. The biggest problem I see might be that the real dome (especially a soft one) will not move coherently as a one body at the higher frequencies where the simulation would be the most interesting. I will probably implement it, as it is not difficult, but I would be hesistant to make much of it. Maybe for hard domes it will give more reliable results. But hey, it's similar to compression drivers flat wavefront assumption.
Hi Marcel,

I've found that 3/4" dome tweeters work really nicely on horns and waveguides. The SB Acoustics SB19 works on virtually every waveguide I've come across.

I agree that a lot of dome tweeters are useless on horns and waveguides, but there are a handful that work nicely.

Hide this!Advertise here!