BR simulation vs experimental results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are only after 60 Hz I dont think this is the best way forward.When I did it I wanted to get down to below 20 Hz !!!. As I said before higher order systems can have dis-advanteges.NB:>.Did you take my advice about un-stuffing your enclosures that will at least allow your speakers to have a reflex action.In your case I recommend sealed enclosure ( 2nd order) and active dsp correction.Assuming of course you have plenty of amplifier power.Then the stuffing will actually help!!!

If you are only after 60 Hz I dont think this is the best way forward.When I did it I wanted to get down to below 20 Hz !!!. As I said before higher order systems can have dis-advanteges.NB:>.Did you take my advice about un-stuffing your enclosures that will at least allow your speakers to have a reflex action.In your case I recommend sealed enclosure ( 2nd order) and active dsp correction.Assuming of course you have plenty of amplifier power.Then the stuffing will actually help!!!
Nope. On vacation at the moment, will try it out after I get back.

Well 60Hz may not be much, but when you are on a 4", you can't expect 20Hz FR... as for the sealed. I need the BR for the power handling..

Oon

4inch speakers,Ahh I see:> Well this 6th order technique will keep the subsonics out of your speakers and give you better power handling,This is the precise purpose of the method:-To get lower bass and higher SPL from smaller speakers and cabinets.PS Hope you get some usefull info from the google search term I sent you,I will watch with interest to see how you get on.All the Best.

Last edited:
4inch speakers,Ahh I see:> Well this 6th order technique will keep the subsonics out of your speakers and give you better power handling,This is the precise purpose of the method:-To get lower bass and higher SPL from smaller speakers and cabinets.PS Hope you get some usefull info from the google search term I sent you,I will watch with interest to see how you get on.All the Best.
Thanks for the tip. I came across the paper by keele. But I think in today's context, I can simulate the response and use DSP to do the same stuff.... so even an idiot like me can figure that part out...

Oon

To get back on topic many workers (pre digital) really had to fight against the laws of physics.Post digital we now have many short circuits availible.In some ways its an illusion.???Big bass from little speakers has been like the quest for the holy grail for more than half a century. I am afraid it still boils down (in the end) to physics.BUT that still does not stop people from trying to find unusual ways around audio problems. I used to consider myself as something of an expert UNTIL I joined this forum.now I consider myself as a sponge?? Soaking up everything I can learn.BTW when your domestic circumstances allow>TRUE Full range bass is something once heard is never forgotten and the memory ( and the hankering after it ) will stay with you a lifetime.Be carefull of what you wish for.!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Figured out what I was doing that was wrong. I did the measurements at 50cm distance using an Omnimic system. When I shifted to 10cm, everything gelled together very well and matches the simulation a lot closer.

I suppose it is a near field vs farfield problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oon

To get back on topic many workers (pre digital) really had to fight against the laws of physics.Post digital we now have many short circuits availible.In some ways its an illusion.???Big bass from little speakers has been like the quest for the holy grail for more than half a century. I am afraid it still boils down (in the end) to physics.BUT that still does not stop people from trying to find unusual ways around audio problems. I used to consider myself as something of an expert UNTIL I joined this forum.now I consider myself as a sponge?? Soaking up everything I can learn.BTW when your domestic circumstances allow>TRUE Full range bass is something once heard is never forgotten and the memory ( and the hankering after it ) will stay with you a lifetime.Be carefull of what you wish for.!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, my other system is 3 X 15" Open baffle system, comprising a full range, woofer and subwoofer. I could adjust them indepently. Yup, music with real bass sounds so much better.

Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.