Ribbon based multi-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am putting the final touches on a RAAL based MTM with passive crossover using all premium components. I also build a lot of my own amps and considering building a new amp with high end dsp for a ribbon based multi-way system. With the RAAL tweeters I need to use a 10-15uf Cap for protection rather then going right into the tweeter directly which will color the sound a bit. Has anyone run an active DSP crossover with RAAL ribbons and if so what were your thoughts compared to a nicely implemented passive crossover. A pretty well known DIY designer said he was not a fan of dsp crossovers with ribbons and recommends only passive designs for ribbons. I just sold my last build with integrated DSP so I would have to build a new amp to test it out but I have an electronic crossover that should get me close enough for testing purposes. I would like to get some people’s input before I decide to build another DSP based amp and how they feel if meshes with the RAAL ribbons.

There are dangers to this approach.
DSP malfunctions, software glitches or mistakes by the user may easily fry the tweeter with DC or low frequency output.
Amp malfunctions and DC offset may as well.
To manufacturers, a protective Cap is a no-brainer.
You may want to add protection circuit instead if a cap is not wanted (not that I'm familiar with any circuits that can be used for this task).

Why does it matter which approach is being held in a higher regard in the eyes of a pretty well known DIY designer when it comes to crossover design? What matters is that one understands the basic principle of how and why the manipulation of the FR of the units in/out of the crossover region is essential. Whether one chooses dsp over passive or vice versa, is irrelevant in the sense of good sound quality, not so if you have preferences because of practical reasons.

Last edited:
I have never used DSP with a ribbon based system. 2 designer advised heavily against the use of DSP in a ribbon set up especially with the RAAL ribbons for a few reasons. They have never used a DSP in a RAAL ribbon set up so I am taking the advice with a grain of salt. I recently sold a high end amp/Dsp combo that I built for show last year so for me to try it on my own will cost me a few grand and I rather not spend the money to be disappointed. I am interested in seeing if anyone has run something like this before and what their results have been.

I am putting the final touches on a RAAL based MTM with passive crossover using all premium components. I also build a lot of my own amps and considering building a new amp with high end dsp for a ribbon based multi-way system. With the RAAL tweeters I need to use a 10-15uf Cap for protection rather then going right into the tweeter directly which will color the sound a bit. Has anyone run an active DSP crossover with RAAL ribbons and if so what were your thoughts compared to a nicely implemented passive crossover. A pretty well known DIY designer said he was not a fan of dsp crossovers with ribbons and recommends only passive designs for ribbons. I just sold my last build with integrated DSP so I would have to build a new amp to test it out but I have an electronic crossover that should get me close enough for testing purposes. I would like to get some people’s input before I decide to build another DSP based amp and how they feel if meshes with the RAAL ribbons.

As long as you use a series cap a DSP unit will be fine with the RAAL.

As long as you use a series cap a DSP unit will be fine with the RAAL.

Correct - 10-15uf series Cap is what Aleksander recommended. I have done a lot with the Accuton DSP in the past and considering using it again however I would need to develop a PSU as well as some other odds and ends to make it work correctly. The OEM of the unit before Accutons upgrades may have them already completed so that it is plug and play. Rick, I believe I spoke with you a few times in the past on Facebook and it seems like we have a lot of similar interests in regards to designs. Have you had a chance to try the Expolinear planar transducers? I would like to use them in a design I have been planning for a while and they look good however they are expensive and I have yet to find any feedback on them at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.