Baffle Shape for Smooth Frequency Response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anyone has tried somethings similar for OB, a bit simpler than flower petals :eek::)
I once managed to iteratively "saw" out a perfect BUT2 highpass-behavior within +- 0.5dB with a open baffle, starting from an asymmetric logarithmic snailhouse contour. Along with a complementary electric BUT2 this provided a neat LR4 behavior. No kidding, it worked.

1. But it only worked straightly measured aligned with the driver axis.
2. And any asymmetric design will completely ruin constant directivity. So you better avoid linear snailhouse contours over 360° as in the example shown in this thread.

Attachments

• amqpwh.jpg
    amqpwh.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 424
I don’t think the shape (looking straight on-axis) will have much of an impact on the sound quality. For the cleanest sound the baffle needs to carefully transition the wavefront away from the driver. This improves the off-axis performance since edge diffraction isn’t causing artifacts due to stored energy. This shows clearly in a spectral burst decal plot or impulse response measurement.
Also, Olsen’s graphs were hand drawn based on guessing. I do not agree with some of them based on my own experience.

Hi,

the careful transmission works indeed good. Difficult to measure, at least for me, didn´t succeed. But to my ears, it sounds better than any other baffle I tried (quite a few...), cleaner, no artifacts, better 3-D-illusion. Of course, this is very subjective.
The shape has no special formula or determination - just a smooth curve from the membranes exit angle to the very large roundover.

All the best

Mattes

Attachments

• DSC04298 1.jpg
    DSC04298 1.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC04300 1.jpg
    DSC04300 1.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 305
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I thought maybe JC had some measurements to support a best overall shape.

Yes, quantifying the audible effect is difficult.

I have made spherical tweeter pods. Felt is installed around the front and flat on the tweeter faceplate. Fabulous sound.

I owned N801 for 2 years and had to unload them. They are extremely open but have several major issues that make them hard to live with. I believe the N tweeter holder is a bad design as there is no baffle for the dome.

Its nice to see creative ideas for dealing with baffle reflections. I like the style of this speaker that has diffusion machined into the baffle..

Attachments

• IMG_20161008_182610[83947].jpg
    IMG_20161008_182610[83947].jpg
    903 KB · Views: 236
  • cede30baab424c3e8e948c753069c2ee.jpg
    cede30baab424c3e8e948c753069c2ee.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.