Looking for where to start (have an idea)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, just getting into diy speakers and have an idea but need some help figuring everything out.

I diy'd a Rythmik FV15HP and loved it, but now I want to try building some bookshelf speakers for myself.

What I'm looking for is a design to start with and a couple driver and crossover recommendations to fit my idea. I listen to a wide variety of music (edm, blues, trip hop, classical, etc), I also play pc games, and prefer a warm sound with good fast clean bass. I'd prefer a front flat port (I like the idea of transmission line, but not sure that'd fit well for bookshelf). My source will be PC > Schiit Jotunheim > unknown amp atm > these diys. I'd like to try tube amps too with this. I'm not opposed to adding a separate sub to get the really low end.

With all that said, I'd like to use a ribbon or planar tweeter like the Aurum Cantus or Founteks. As for the driver, ideally a 5-6.5" would be ideal. I know the Aurum Cantus tweeters are expensive, but it'd be nice if I could get this under $400 for the drivers and crossovers for the pair.

I'm really just lost at how to match up drivers, tweeters, and crossover. Once I get those picked up, I feel confident designing the cabinet and such, but not opposed to input on that as well.

I was looking at the Speedsters, but not too sure if I want to do those or not.

Really appreciate any help I can get, thanks!

I'm really just lost at how to match up drivers, tweeters, and crossover.
This line tells me you are not at the point where you are able to design a speaker from scratch. Xovers are not easy for a beginner.

With the idea that I'd like you to have a successful outcome, i.e. a decent completed speaker, build a known and completely developed design and don't tinker with it.

I'd like to try tube amps too with this. I'm not opposed to adding a separate sub to get the really low end.
This point is critical: speaker (system) should allow for a certain swing in headroom but you are limited by the relatively low power given from a pair EL84 in PP (12W) or 6V6, for say. Or step to more powerful tubes.
I'd say that 88-90 dB would be a desirable target, a 6" or 7" mid-woofer would fit.

Here are five sources for speaker kits with crossovers developed by people who have the experience necessary to do it well:

Meniscus Audio
Madisound
Parts Express
DIY Sound Group
GR Research

Somewhere in those dozens of offerings is YOUR kit.

Find It
Buy It
Build It
Enjoy It

Or, try to develop your own crossover and accept whatever results you get.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.