Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

yet another Great Plains Audio 604-8h-III build, and a crossover question
yet another Great Plains Audio 604-8h-III build, and a crossover question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 04:01 AM   #1
slensgra is offline slensgra  United States
diyAudio Member

Default yet another Great Plains Audio 604-8h-III build, and a crossover question

/delurk
Hi folks, this is my first post here, and I admit that I have more enthusiasm than knowledge, but here goes. After a long hiatus from any focus on HiFi, I decided to get a single ended 2a3 amp, and of course needed some efficient speakers, I chose The GPA 604-8h-III. I wanted to stick fairly close to available designs, and drew up plans for a 6 cubic foot double chamber reflex enclosure. I used WinISD to calculate the port size. They are made from bamboo plywood which weighs about 90 pounds per 4 foot by 8 foot sheet. I don't have a lot to compare my system to, but it has brought me a lot of pleasure. I am interested in trying a different crossover such as the Markwart, but haven't been able to find any schematics or plans, so if someone could post a link, I'd be grateful.
Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enclosure_a.jpg (72.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg speaker_progress.jpg (87.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg hifi_system.jpg (66.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 16th May 2019, 07:38 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Beautiful and interesting! First Altec DBR I'm aware of. Be nice to eventually see some measurements. Did you sim them or just use a basic rule-of-thumb? DIYed the console too?

Anyway, surprised you didn't find Jeff's website: Jeff Markwart’s Corner – Great Plains Audio

Hmm, then again, forgot he moved them to GPA's website, which was recently corrupted. So.....jumping into the Wayback machine: Jeff Markwart's Corner - Phase Corrected Crossovers

GM
Old 16th May 2019, 01:01 PM   #3
slensgra is offline slensgra  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings to you too GM! Thank you for the kind reply and the link. I designed the enclosures according to this web page: DCR . The shelf dividing the chambers is removable, so I could convert it to a MLTL in the future. I recently downloaded Room Eq Wizard and intend to eventually learn to use it , so I will gladly post what I come up with. The console is one I bought unfinished.
Old 16th May 2019, 01:44 PM   #4
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice!

yet another Great Plains Audio 604-8h-III build, and a crossover questionHide this!Advertise here!