Anybody identify these older drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found Matsushita speaker drivers to be of reasonable quality, probably worth measuring & putting in an appropriate box...usually the plastic box is too small. maybe the box from your earlier posts?

That's interesting. I had assumed they'd be the same as the Sony and yamaha speakers I've come across recently but there does seem to be some weight to them and they don't sound awful..............

Maybe slightly higher quality?

Tweeter is the usual affair.

The "midrange" is more of a wide ranger, they've actually put it in its own enclosure. It's got an odd chassis, closed at the bottom.

Woofer seems to have a slightly bigger magnet than some I've seen.

I find it interesting that such a "naff" cheap looking system should have drivers that are at least of the quality seen in other more "serious" looking speakers like the Sonys I played with a while ago, roughly of the same vintage too.
Not sure if I'd bother putting them into a bigger box but who knows? :)

Attachments

• 20190518_171832_resized.jpg
    20190518_171832_resized.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190518_171853_resized.jpg
    20190518_171853_resized.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190517_184029_resized.jpg
    20190517_184029_resized.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2019-04-14 19.47.30.jpg
    2019-04-14 19.47.30.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 50
Does the unit specify power consumption on the back? The power output claims are amusing, a bit like HT receivers claiming seven channels of 100 watts while consuming maybe 200 altogether. Drivers are definitely not junk. Is the woofer in a sealed enclosure? Looks to be built for some excursion.

Last edited:
Does the unit specify power consumption on the back? The power output claims are amusing, a bit like HT receivers claiming seven channels of 100 watts while consuming maybe 200 altogether. Drivers are definitely not junk.

Power consumption is 185W.

The longer they sit here in front of me the more I'm tempted to put them in a better box.....................:rolleyes:

Technically I am Irish so maybe more Yahoo O'Serious or Yahoo MacSerious or Yahoo Fitzserious

rSouthern_Hemisphere_Map_shop_preview.png

As a side note, we are way closer to Australia and New Zealand than to Europe or even USA ... something globe maps such as this one show but conventional (Mercator) ones hide.

Oh, according to Flat Earthers we are some 40000 kilometers away :eek: and the not that long Buenos Aires to Auckland Polar flight is imposible :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Surely the resonances contribute to the character of the sound!

Let it rip I say! :mischiev:

Haha! They don't sound too bad once you cancel out a lot of the junk equalization. Reasonably solidly made too. I may yet perform some surgery on them though! Cue manic laughter........

There was an interesting thread around here and someone had heavily braced and treated the plastic enclosure of their speaker, radically improved I think too?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.