Best 6-7" mid/woofer driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of the same recently. I chose MW19P, as midwoofer offering the right balance of parameters for 2-way. I also used MW16P and I consider it even better midwoofer for 2-way, though with less bass extension. Both sounded very good.
Seas W18 Nextel is also very good, it has very smooth FR and is easy to work with.

Recently I noticed SS 18W/8542-10 in new Troels 2-way project, very nice FR too.

Here are my thoughts on midwoofer for 2-way, very briefly:

Illuminator - 18WU, I see it to be more woofer, but actually it could be nice in 2-way.
Ellipticor - I would like to see some 3rd party measurements first.
Accutons - C173 series, I do not see the value here, no hands-on experience. Ferrite models have quite poor distortion. Neo models are quite ok in that regard.
Seas W18 Magnesium - together with Bliesma in WG and crossed ovet at ~1k it could be very good.
SB17xxxx - very nice measurements and value, especially NBAC models. I used 2xSB17NBAC on the bottom of 3-way and it was good for the price, though it was little bit one-note bass. Soon I will have SB17CAC/Seas DXT 2way, LR4, very nice horizontal response, I am curious to hear it.
Audiotechnology - no experience, the lack of measurements keeps me off
Dayton ES180xx - probably very good woofer, but I do not expect good distortion above 1k
Vifa NE180W - overall very good performer, very low distortion
SS 18W revelator - on paper very good option for 2-way, but I have read some reservations to its sound on the midrange
SS18W Classic - some of the family I find very suitable for 2-way. Often assessed as warm sounding.
Morels - no comment.
Wavecor WF182BD03 - nice option for 2-way.

Conclusion: the only flaw of MW16/MW19 is cone-surround resonance. For me this is the least compromise from the group of other options.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for the list of drivers!

I think s-s 18wu looks so cool so I want to get my hands on a pair, but performance seems not as high as the look and pricetag suggests, and i can not justify buying drivers on looks only.

I have a pair of satoris mw16 but I prefere the sound of the sb17nrx, satoris sounds a bit harsh to my ears, sb17nrx sounds more relaxed.

When will textreme be released?

Have you considered the Scan 18w/8531G00? I used it in a 2-way, the Brioso, with a T-Labs N26CR2-A alumina ceramic tweeter crossed at 2.1 kHz, and very recently as a woofer in a 3-way, the Cornetta, crossed at 650 Hz to the 2" dome midrange in the Morel TM4055-8 dual-dome driver. John Krutke (Zaph Audio) also thought the 18WU's price tag didn't justify itself and wasn't really any better than the Revelator 18W. For a lot less money, the SB17NRX is a really good driver and a good value.
Paul

Thanks for the list of drivers!

I think s-s 18wu looks so cool so I want to get my hands on a pair, but performance seems not as high as the look and pricetag suggests, and i can not justify buying drivers on looks only.

I have a pair of satoris mw16 but I prefere the sound of the sb17nrx, satoris sounds a bit harsh to my ears, sb17nrx sounds more relaxed.

When will textreme be released?

18w8531 do looks good, but i have heard these lacks resolution and that has hold me off. But i am very tempted to try out the 18wu, maybe it is like with these as with diamond tweeters, they might not look that good on paper but the sound they produce is nothing but breathtaking :)

Has anyone tested the Morel TSCM634 6" Titanium Supreme Carbon-Fiber Midrange?

Even though it is a midrange, Madisound claims a respectable F3 of 73-Hz in a sealed box. The frequency response is good to 3 kHz with smooth off-axis roll off.

Price is a little out of my range, but would be curious to real-world measurements.

Morel TSCM634 6" Titanium Supreme Carbon-Fiber Midrange: Madisound Speaker Components

Sorry, did my search again and found this site: Measurements and compare | HiFiCompass

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.