Redesigning my cabinets. Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Maybe think and make sure it isn't nonsense before you say something. First of all these are plate ams designed to be mounted in the speaker cabinet, that's kind of the entire point of a plate amplifier. Though obviously it isn't designed to be part of the outer wall of the cabinet, it has vents in it, and obviously isn't any rigid. Which is why I put it in its own chamber. I think this was pretty obvious already because I think I probably mentioned the "amplifier chamhttps://www.youtube.com/ber" before in this thread and I think it's pretty self-explanatory it should be in it's own chamber anyway. It has literally been in the design from the start.

Come on, do you think I'm stupid? I graduated literally yesterday.

You certainly are not stupid. Some seemingly logical combinations can easily mislead you. However, you are not wrong in this case at all. But stupidity or intelligence should not be confused with little/less experience in some sectors. And you can't think of all and everything since some things actually need said experience.
I would like to suggest a change of the amp mounting. Most plate amps got elements sticking out of the front plate. That means, if your amp does and you move the speakers, the first thing on the back hitting anything are the stick-out plugs, potentiometer(s) etc. and that will damage your plate amp. That can easily be avoided. So it's a very good idea to not mount it flush with the enclosure but to recess it about that far the farthest extended part of the plate amp is protected. You could also achieve that by mounting a strip of hard wood at the edges of the amp opening or similar but it will ofcourse not look that good and is easily spotted.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I don't see a problem in that. Just don't shove them against the wall.

You probably don't do that. I mean, intentionally. But you or a friendly helper can easily do that accidentally while a move etc - it's not a problem now but it can be an expensive one in a few years. And if you don't build the amp yourself, it's very possible or even likely you can't get a replacement with the same dimensions. That means, (besides saving money for an amp replacement), you'll also save the money for a new enclosure (or modifying it and paint/varnish it again) or having a separate amp box and spider-web-like cables laying around. Believe me, I've seen my share in smashed in plate amp boards. Anyway, it's your speaker, after all. But I always thought you don't have to make ALL mistakes by yourself.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I agree wit ICG, when we build a speaker, we do not like to have anything sticking out that could be accidently broken off because they stick out.

It's worse. If it's just broken off, it can usually be replaced. Annoying but manageable. The real problem is when the pushed in plugs etc. smash the amplifier board itself. Even with little visible damage it often leads to a hair thick crack in the boards conductive layer, very hard to find, often only losing contact when a temperature change occurs, causing the amp to stop working or worse, the 'thump noise' or DC on output when happening, killing the driver.

Well, there's a thing, I've just been working on:

VIFA-Type-Baffle-25-May19.jpg

Explode.jpg

Must admit, didn't think of doing it in horizintal layers.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The pertebations you have in that box will have little effect except at higher frequencies (a function of the depth of the artifacts) where the damping in the box shouls already be taking care of everything.

To be truly effective they need to reah near the other side (or the points of the ones coming from the other direction.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.