Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

A 4-way Horn speaker
A 4-way Horn speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 05:57 PM   #41
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Yes, I think Speediesteve is very happy about his Nadja, but I think it is similar to minidsp. DSP is DSP.

In the same boat, I am a bioengineer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (29.1 KB, 298 views)
Old 16th May 2019, 06:04 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BA View Post
Thanks for the photo of the start of your Iwata horn, if possible can you post updates ?
Yes, but progress will most likely be utterly slow, due to other hobbies (children).
Old 26th May 2019, 09:36 AM   #43
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Hi Barry , Thanks for your driver and equipment rundown. -- Sorry to hear of your surgery and recovery issues, I hope your recovery goes well - I know what a pain health issues can be! Constantly dealing with some of my own - It really sucks getting old - my mind feels like I'm early thirty's, but my body is always there to remind me that just isn't the case! -
I had a thought ..... I was wondering, how difficult is it for you to change the crossover frequency on your Midrange horn - ? ---------------------------- the thought that wandered thru was ...... assuming it isn't too difficult - ( I know - always dangerous to assume ) - how would you feel about trying your crossover point at 400hz to your bass horn - then at 300hz to your bass horn ?????? The purpose would be to see if it can sound okay at those higher points? I have my perfect midrange horn driver it is a BMS4592ND 2 inch Midrange CD, It's the same midrange driver that Volti uses in their Vittora Horn and it is an Amazing sounding 2 inch driver !!!!! They cross it over at 400hz, But not sure it can go down to 250hz crossover point like the Anima does. Please if it's too much trouble to change the mid to bass horn xover - don't mess with it -
Old 26th May 2019, 10:18 AM   #44
Mr BA is offline Mr BA  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Dean,
I'm currently on holiday on Okinawa, visiting my eldest daughter and family. Yes, I can adjust the crossover point easily using the behringer when I return. Is there a particular track / piece of music you think I should use to hear the differences?
I can also try to measure but it won't be easy - mic @ listening position?
Rgds Barry
Old 29th May 2019, 04:10 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Hi Barry, Hope your holiday is going well! And your family is healthy and happy, That's one of my biggest regrets - not ever having children , I thought for the longest time that I would make a poor example as a father - my childhood was destitute of love and full of abuse , and my my mom, brother and sister and I don't talk much ... so I was afraid of becoming my father ..... no child should have to deal with that. And I didn't appreciate children much when I was younger .... but now the Holidays seem empty and I see my friends enjoying their kids.... and we both wish that we would have found a way, even though we both have major medical issues .... I guess what they say is true -- hind sight is 20-20 -
On to the important stuff , I am sort of a newbie at this so i'm guessing ... I'm thinking human voice is one of the hardest things to get right... so maybe something in that vocal range like maybe Chris Isaak's Wicked game , or any low men's voice like maybe Luther Vandross's music..... also Piano is supposed to be a very good measure of a speakers accuracy, and maybe classical orchestra music - Anyway those are my guesses , You would probably do better - I am hoping that you will be able to hear the difference compared to your regular crossover point if there is something majorly wrong at 300 or 400hz. xover points - Best Regards, Dean
Old 29th May 2019, 04:20 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
ah -- I forgot your measurement question... I have not had the chance to do anything like that yet so ...... maybe just at several degrees around in an arc with the listening chair in the middle of the arc one of the most important ..... maybe just at the listening chair, I don't know. You are definitely more experienced with measurements, so I defer to your great wisdom!
Old 29th May 2019, 05:20 PM   #47
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Piano is often a good choice for testing crossovers due to the simplicity and tonal purity, and wide bandwidth. You'll hear where nulls/weird sounds come in.
Old 17th June 2019, 08:52 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default 250->300->400 Hz

Hi Dean,
Apologies for the delay in replying, life got in the way of playing with the hi-fi. I decided the easiest way to see the impact of changing the crossover point was by alternatively listening to the vertical horn and horizontal horn whilst changing the frequency from 250 ->300 ->400 Hz. I left crossover at LR24 and used Chris Isaak - Wicked Games and Robbie Robertson - Somewhere down the crazy river.
Summary - as you increase the frequency you hear more of the male vocal out of the vertical horn and it sounds muffled.
Instead of having a vertical horn, I would suggest that you consider using a 400 Hz mounted horizontally, if you wanted to stay with your BMS4592ND 2 inch Midrange CD.
My original plan was to have all of my horns horizontal, but I didn't have room to fit them in. A sofa is in the way of the LHS. So, I compromised and went vertical. I took some measurements and will post later.
Hope this helps in your decision making?
All the best Barry
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Here are 3 measurements taken using REW. 250, 300 & 400 Hz crossover. You can see the output from the horn naturally tailing off @ 300 Hz (even with the crossover set to 400 Hz :- 250-400_Xover.jpg - Google Drive

All measurements taken at listening position, which is approx 4m from the loudspeaker IMAG1652.jpg - Google Drive

IMAG1651.jpg - Google Drive

Last edited by Mr BA; Yesterday at 08:59 PM. Reason: Photos added
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Looks good! How does it sound?
I would lift it a bit more from the ground, and maybe fit an angled reflective surface on the floor, that might help.
What drivers are you using?

A 4-way Horn speakerHide this!Advertise here!