Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

A 4-way Horn speaker
A 4-way Horn speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2019, 09:10 PM   #21
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Kunstnernes Hus, Oslo, Norway. It means The Artists House and has bar/café/pizza restaurant in the lobby of an arts gallery. This is an approx. €150 000 speaker combination from Avantgarde in Germany. It inspired me to start building horns but now it feels it bit old, after I tried to improve upon the design here and there. Alas, still missing horns below 440Hz.
Old 11th May 2019, 09:28 PM   #22
Mr BA is offline Mr BA  England
diyAudio Member

Default 4 way not 3 way

Hi,
I'm in the same position as you, trying to fit a horn loudspeaker into a domestic setting. Following discussions with friends, we agreed that the vertical horn could n't go above 250 Hz, due to not wanting the lower end of male vocals to be going through it and sounding chesty. I've built one speaker so far, with notional crossovers at 250, 1k & 8k. Currently using DCX2496 with 24 dB LR slopes.
I need to build a second one & then sort out how to get music into it. My original plan was going to use a Najda, but Nick is on a sabbatical. Suggestions welcome.
I'll post a picture when I can.
Rgds Barry
Old 12th May 2019, 12:04 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Work in progress

Click the image to open in full size.

Once finished, they will be moved into the corners & then re-measured, etc. As you will notice, there are still straps, clamps, etc. holding pieces in place and all the wood needs finishing.

Old 12th May 2019, 01:19 PM   #24
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Very cool! How is the white mid horn constructed? I have to say I'm a bit confused on the bass horns in these designs. With the mouth so small, it doesn't seem to cover a very wide bandwidth to be worth all the trouble. From 250hz down to what? Do you eq to boost below that? Separate subwoofer?
Old 12th May 2019, 03:54 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspieker View Post
Very cool! How is the white mid horn constructed?
I have to say I'm a bit confused on the bass horns in these designs. With the mouth so small, it doesn't seem to cover a very wide bandwidth to be worth all the trouble. From 250hz down to what? Do you eq to boost below that? Separate subwoofer?
White horn (250 - 1k) is made from layers of papier mache (Inlow Sound).
The vertical horn has a 15" driver and I'm aiming for 50Hz when it's placed in the room corner, I'll then need to raise the height of the mouth opening.
No EQ presently, but may be necesarry in the future.
Below is the initial design in Hornresp
Initially, the bass horn was going to be horizontal, but it came too far into the room. Turning it vertical takes up less room & it acts a frame to put the other drivers + horns on. My listening room is 20' x 14' and I listen down the room.
Old 13th May 2019, 07:04 AM   #26
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Hi all, I really appreciate everyone that's taking part in the discussion. - Mr. BA - your Horn system is looking GREAT - !!!!! I'm slightly jealous - your already so far ahead of me! - It's interesting that in most areas , preamplifiers, amplifiers - even regular speakers ( non-horns) -- it seems like when people finish their designs most of the time here they share the designs with the rest of the diyaudio crowd , but when people finish horn speakers they seldom share their design specs - ( dimensions , crossovers or the rest ) - that someone would need to build the same design.... seems kind of strange ....... Maybe because it can take so long or take so much effort they don't want copy's - - -
- it sure be great if more people did!
- I found some interesting information that may help explain things a little more. On Romy's website they got into a light conversation - or debate of the merits of Tune's Anima horn system - and after talking over the different problems they thought it might have , the designer of the Anima horn system Manolis Proestakis actually joined the conversation. I'll post the link, he shared some interesting details on the horns - here is the link- !

-- GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - Greek Anima Loudspeakers
Old 13th May 2019, 09:49 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Mr BA, how is the sound quality from the midbass when you face it vertical/downwards compared to horizontal?
Are you at all concerned about time alignment? Due to space constraints I wish to do it with an analog circuit, but having trouble finding any.
Old 13th May 2019, 11:27 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
Well, I can share what I use: Lab12 Sealed 34L subwoofer 30Hz-80Hz, ported JBL K140 from 80-440Hz, Yamaha Ja6681B compression driver from 440Hz to 2000Hz in an JMLC IWATA 220Hz. RAAL in a big wooden horn from 2000Hz-20kHz. I will add a second channel as soon as I am done sculpting the horn, from 1400Hz - maybe 3000Hz, to use a smaller horn for RAAL. We will see what I end up preferring. I also have built two midbass horns with JBL 2220A (90-440Hz) that is waiting in the stable for approval from the Mrs.

For the two upper horns I currently use a Firstwatt F5 with a 2-way passive 2nd order crossover. I like it better than my Chinese 2A3 5 watt tube amp. Actually the 5 watt tube amp sound better with the 15" JBL drivers, but the JBL can play the 50Hz mains hum very vividly, something I will need to address eventually, probably with a Firstwatt F6.
I use a minidsp 4x10HD to divide the sub and the midwoofer and the two horns. I am looking to replace the minidsp with an LXmini inspired analog active crossover, but I am not sure it is suitable for a 3-way or a 4-way.

The Fane 8M is not in use, just a failed experminent. I though I needed something between the K140 and the horn, but the aluminum dust cap extends it well above 440Hz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190303_162119.jpg (852.9 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Rewind; 13th May 2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:14 PM   #29
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Beautiful horns! How do you construct those things while keeping the desired contour?
Old 13th May 2019, 02:49 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

A 4-way Horn speaker
I start with cutting out the shapes on paper and then glue thick planks together and start sawing and chopping with a viking axe. Really quite therapeutic. :P For the large midrange horn I did not have access to JMLC calculations so I had to use pictures and dimensions I found of it on in a blog. I also changed it to a J-shape for increased WAF, so I took sections of a straight horn and placed them in angles. It might be wrong to call it a JMLC horn, but it is pretty close. The top horn I will store away soon when I add the second compression driver horns.

A 4-way Horn speakerHide this!Advertise here!