Enclosures: mass, bracing, damping etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uh, if you’re talking about the mahogany Elipses in Dave’s photo, I lived with them for a while myself, and I don’t remember any issues that could be attributed to the enclosures resonating. While I think I prefer the combination of the higher priced A12PW and A7.3 as implemented in the MTM that has been posted elsewhere to that of the SDX7, I could have easily lived with their sonics, but the footprint of both was too awkward for the room.

I red about the issue some time ago here on diyaudio.com, lots of discussion. Most effective and easiest to build method seems to be bracing with shearing damping. Will dampen resonances most effectively. Remember, unless you build the box very heavy it is impossible to get rid of wall resonances.

If I remember Geddes uses some liquid rubber with added glass beads to bond the braces, or something like that. Example here of such construction a new (I think) cabinet damping technique.
Edit. from the linked thread: Geddes uses "two part polyurethane with a filler", "dampens like cracy".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.