KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

As a teaser, typical room response of 3-way floorstanders, (both Wilson Audio)
419WilYvfig5.jpg

I just saw this Juha,

I'm not sure that flat in room response is that pleasant to listen in the long run. Usually there is roll off of around 6dB from 200-20000Hz. Flat could well be quite bright sounding. Anechoic averaged measurements Atkinson does are tilted about 4dB upwards 1000Hz-20000Hz. Those are averaged so who knows how on axis measurement looks like.

419WilYvfig2.jpg

Plutone

I just saw this Juha,

I'm not sure that flat in room response is that pleasant to listen in the long run. Usually there is roll off of around 6dB from 200-20000Hz. Flat could well be quite bright sounding...

I agree. Better with a negative slope like DIY Plutone by Tony Gee:

Tony Gee Plutone

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was looking at bass response!
But I like flat upper end of a single speaker as well. Perhaps because of my impaired hearing. Never heard Wilson's but most KEF Uni-Q speaker have too soft high treble for me.

Actually the Wilsons' room response goes 4-5dB down 3-10kHz. Measured room response is always affected by interference from boundaries, but still doesn't show decay spectrum, which is important for the perceived sound balance too. I have noticed that 1-4kHz decays slower in most rooms of what I have measured.

My dauhter's room has concrete walls and big windows, but is large.
Shared album - Juha Sirkka - Google Photos

Last edited:
Those are measured responses but since Holmimpulse can't show more than 3 measurements, i just imported them in LspCad. Radiated power is derived from those measurements from picture no.2 It is a combination of all 10 measurements.

Last edited:

I guess that's how it is when one tailors the sound per price tag and not per driver capabilities. How can you sell the bigger model that is more expensive if there's no difference in performance from smaller model - only actual difference being dynamic capability.

Klaus Heinz is very good designer so i'm sure he is aware of every detail regarding performance of his loudspeakers.

Has there been any sort of conclusion about the modified crossover(s) mentioned in this thread? I see three schematics for LS50, some renaming (PSM) without a specific reference to a schematic, and lots of confusing digression not related to the original post.

I have a pair of LS50 on the way (big discount right now), and these mods are very intriguing. The poor phase at crossover is disturbing, in theory.

Everyhing you need to know if you want to upgrade is linked in the first post. If there is something that is unclear to you, please specify and we'll go through it again.

The rest of the thread is friendly technical chat and i don't see why would that be a problem for anyone. What conclusions do you need ?

As of today, black or wood grain Q150's are available from Amazon for $299, with free Prime shipping (though not next day). Even eligible for Amazon Smile charitable donation.

Bill

If you live in North America and you do not want to spend a lot of money with KEF LS50 or you want UNI-Q 5.25" drivers to make your DIY speakers...

KEFdirect: $299
KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speaker Pair

Amazon.com: $334
Amazon.com: KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black): Home Audio & Theater
]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.