Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations
KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations
KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2019, 12:06 PM   #71
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty tinman View Post
I guess that's how it is when one tailors the sound per price tag and not per driver capabilities. How can you sell the bigger model that is more expensive if there's no difference in performance from smaller model - only actual difference being dynamic capability.

Klaus Heinz is very good designer so i'm sure he is aware of every detail regarding performance of his loudspeakers.
Old 5th June 2019, 03:38 PM   #72
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

If you live in North America and you do not want to spend a lot of money with KEF LS50 or you want UNI-Q 5.25" drivers to make your DIY speakers...

KEFdirect: $299
KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speaker Pair

Amazon.com: $334
Amazon.com: KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black): Home Audio & Theater

Crutchfield: $550
KEF Q150 (Black) Bookshelf speakers at Crutchfield.com
Old 6th June 2019, 01:19 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Adding braces inside and changing crossover might be everything it needs. Now would be a good time for someone to buy them and measure raw drivers in factory cabinets so we can tinker with it a bit.
Old 6th June 2019, 02:57 PM   #74
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

The Q150 drivers are not the same as LS50. More distortion expected in the low end.
Old 6th June 2019, 03:04 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Of course. Point of crossover should be determined by measuring. No problem going up to 400-500 Hz if distortion is too severe down low making it a classic three way.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:53 PM   #76
CGodecke is offline CGodecke  United States
diyAudio Member

Has there been any sort of conclusion about the modified crossover(s) mentioned in this thread? I see three schematics for LS50, some renaming (PSM) without a specific reference to a schematic, and lots of confusing digression not related to the original post.

I have a pair of LS50 on the way (big discount right now), and these mods are very intriguing. The poor phase at crossover is disturbing, in theory.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Everyhing you need to know if you want to upgrade is linked in the first post. If there is something that is unclear to you, please specify and we'll go through it again.

The rest of the thread is friendly technical chat and i don't see why would that be a problem for anyone. What conclusions do you need ?
Old 12th November 2019, 08:02 PM   #78
CGodecke is offline CGodecke  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you, that helped. I clearly see the schematics and measurements from three contributors now.

I'll run in my new speakers, then take another look at this. This will be my first Kef loudspeaker, so unknown territory.

Thanks for your effort and contributions.
Old 13th November 2019, 07:34 AM   #79
lousymusician is offline lousymusician  United States
diyAudio Member

As of today, black or wood grain Q150's are available from Amazon for $299, with free Prime shipping (though not next day). Even eligible for Amazon Smile charitable donation.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty tinman View Post
If you live in North America and you do not want to spend a lot of money with KEF LS50 or you want UNI-Q 5.25" drivers to make your DIY speakers...

KEFdirect: $299
KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speaker Pair

Amazon.com: $334
Amazon.com: KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black): Home Audio & Theater
]
Old 13th November 2019, 09:10 AM   #80
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Yes, I know. Days ago:

KEF Q150 for $300 - Kefdirect.com, Amazon.com and Crutchfield.com

And now we have some KEF Q150 measurements too:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulationsHide this!Advertise here!