Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations
KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2019, 01:27 PM   #51
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

double post
Old 19th May 2019, 02:42 PM   #52
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
Measurement 0, 12.5 and 25 degrees off axis of LS50W. Hardly any peaking of tweeter and very consistant set of curves. Quite maches my measurements of modified LS50.

Attachment 757618

I think you either have faulty product (in which case you should replace it) or you are trolling. So, what is it ?

Can you measure frequency response - 50cm distance is enough for gate to be set at around 3ms so we can see if there is a real problem. Given that you are sound engineer, mic and sound card shouldn't be a problem.
About speakers, I will never look at response curve to get an idea about how they sound. So many speakers with quite similar response curve that sound day and night. See what I mean ?
No, not a question of the sources themselve. I used many DACS, many devices in comparison (my main system, headphones, car sound system, PC. etc.) to try to understand my problems with those speakers. It makes a difference in micro dynamic, never on the tonal balance. All my other speakers are quite balanced. NOT those Kef.
And don't believe it is auto suggestion, oer any preconception against this brand: I worked with Raymond Cook and had a lot of confidence with the Kef products a a preconception: A total surprise.
Not to forget i was very excited about their innovating coaxial speaker, one of the reason i had spend my money blind on those speakers.

Last edited by Tournesol; 19th May 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 19th May 2019, 02:54 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty tinman View Post
[How to Install and Use 7zip on Ubuntu Linux
i do use 7zip, but under windows. Usually working fine.
Attached Images
File Type: gif BAT VK-56SE.gif (20.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 07:07 PM   #54
XMechanik is offline XMechanik  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
XMechanik's crossover looks pretty good. Great job Mr X.

Attachment 757295
Thanks Zvu.

Great that it turned out that the tweeter filter also works well with coils DCRs more typical for air coils. Later I noticed that in my schematic I have DCRs generated for core coils, and these should be rather avoided in the tweeter circuit.

Adding a cap in parallel to the woofer coil is a good idea, it gains over a dozen of dBs attenuation of the breakup frequency (I would possibly consider adding a small resistor in series with the cap to avoid shorting for HF)
Old 19th May 2019, 07:46 PM   #55
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

troelsgravesen.dk Coils for loudspeakers

Quote:
Tweeters

Most often we have a single coil in parallel with the tweeter, e.g. 2nd and 3rd order filters, and anything from 0.2-0.5 ohms usually goes goes well here. However, these coils are usually small and getting 0.15-0.30 ohms coils is no problem. I suggest coils wound from 0.5-0.8 mm wire.
Old 20th May 2019, 04:46 AM   #56
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMechanik View Post
Adding a cap in parallel to the woofer coil is a good idea, it gains over a dozen of dBs attenuation of the breakup frequency (I would possibly consider adding a small resistor in series with the cap to avoid shorting for HF)
No shorting up to 50kHz. First thing a crossover must be is to be safe. Here's impedance:

XMechanik impedansa.png

Though i had to add a resistor in that place for my Kef R300 crossover. Impedance was about 3 ohm at 20kHz but lower after that. 5 ohms if i remember. It was 2.7uF capacitor with purpose to kill the 2kHz resonance of woofer.

Last edited by Zvu; 20th May 2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:41 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you either have faulty product (in which case you should replace it) or you are trolling. So, what is it ?
This guy seems to have the same faulty product !

YouTube

I can hear the exact same defects even across my PC speakers.
Old 21st May 2019, 03:46 PM   #58
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Maybe it interests some:

YouTube Review ! KEF Q100 vs Q150 !

PS: my modded Q100 sounded better first and much better after my last mod, Summer 2018.

KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulationsHide this!Advertise here!