Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations
KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2019, 04:47 PM   #21
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Maty, i don't think that harshness in Q100 comes just from tweeter being 1dB louder than it should. In Q500 thread in this forum i did slight mod of its factory crossover and i think that the same approach (different values of course) would help with Q100. I had some Q100 raw driver sim files. If i find it, tank filter and 12dB/o electrically should fix the harshness. That chainsaw look over 7kHz is product of woofer cone breakup since it is 6dB/o electrically - 0.68mH if i remember correctly.
Old 4th May 2019, 05:13 PM   #22
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

I am very interested!

The last improvement was adding a few Kg of mass to the furniture, which now it weighs more than its equivalent KEF LS50. A substantial improvement in the sound.
Old 4th May 2019, 05:27 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I found it. Here's factory crossover:

fabricka.png

And here's slightly modified:

modifikovana.png

Adding four cheap components seems to work quite well. Point of crossing over and slopes remain virtually the same. You can buy resistors say 1R, 1R5, 2R2 and 3R3. Given the tolerances in LS50 drivers i don't expect anything less in Q100. Additional benefit is that you can set the level of the tweeter per your liking.

Last edited by Zvu; 4th May 2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 4th May 2019, 05:39 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

You are a good man!
Old 4th May 2019, 09:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I've made some measurements of my modified Kef LS50.

Bare in mind that this is 1dB grid.

0, 10 and 20 degrees
0.10.20.png

30, 40 and 50 degrees
30.40.50.png

60, 70 and 80 degrees
60.70.80.png

Here i had to make the grid 2dB to be able to see the level of 90 degree against 0 degrees

So 0, 80 and 90 degrees
0.80.90.png

Tangerine phase plug obviously works like a charm.

I guess it is time we christen this crossover ... PSM XO

Enjoy and have fun

Last edited by Zvu; 4th May 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12th May 2019, 11:12 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

One more independent measurement of Kef LS50. This time from Polish guys that magnified it so you can see what happens:

KEF LS50 - Zespoły głośnikowe | Testy w Audio.com.pl
Old 12th May 2019, 09:18 PM   #27
XMechanik is offline XMechanik  Poland
diyAudio Member

Just another approach, +-1dB on axis, +-1.5dB off axis with reference to the 0.6dB/oct slope line (actually at one point it's 1.8dB), 8-9kHz midwoofer breakup >27dB below system spl. 2R, 4L, 4C. Not minimalistic, but also not very complicated. Pic1: on axis, Pic2: off axis.
Attached Images
File Type: png LS50_24.3_.png (98.6 KB, 265 views)
File Type: png LS50_24.3_offAxis_.png (30.3 KB, 259 views)
Old 13th May 2019, 05:50 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Nice.

Have you tried to do it with your software to see what will happen ?
Old 14th May 2019, 07:05 PM   #29
XMechanik is offline XMechanik  Poland
diyAudio Member

This crossover was actually designed using XMachina software. It is shown in XSim because I usually try to modify selected results in an external (more handy) circuit editor. (This time I made only one change, 2 coils in series were replaced with a single coil with appropriate L & dcr).
Old 14th May 2019, 07:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

@Zvu

Off topic or not

I am so satisfied with the current sound of my modified KEF Q100 that I am afraid to modify the filter.

Yesterday, with acoustic instrumentation, the sound was sometimes incredible. Percussion, guitars above all.

Just now, orchestral music: Lieutenant Kijé (Prokofiev). I still marvel at how such a small speaker is capable of playing an orchestra.

The logic improves, to be in another larger room, would be two subwoofers cut at 110 Hz, I think.

KEF LS50 playground - measurements of raw drivers in factory cabinets and simulationsHide this!Advertise here!