Wharfedale Super 5's - how do they sound and perform?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CollageMaker_20190502_164548496.jpg

I got myself a pair of these after hearing and reading about them. Super rare in this condition, look like new infact.

Anyone know much about these and how they sound? Wondering if I can use them in a three way design using my goodmans axiom 301s and decca tweeters?

Were these used as a midrange driver or tweeter?

Looking foward to hooking these up and listening to them.

Thanks Galu! Crossovers is my next thing to figure out and learn i.e frequency range, slops and roll off. They type of crossover design. Thinking I would need some attenuators to be able to vary the presence of the mids and tweeters.

Maybe use the wharfedale as the upper midrange.

The Wharfedale Super 5 was used as a mid/tweeter that could be crossed over at a lower frequency than a Super 3; typically 1000Hz.
They sound the same as the Super 3 and generally require some TLC before using them.

These seem to be in really great working condition, I checked everything from the spider, cone, surround and used a dayton dats. All OK which is amazing.

This link gives nice illustrations of the different crossover types and their resultant slopes.

Passive Crossover Slopes

In the early days of Wharfedale and Goodmans, the crossover slopes were gradual (6dB/octave). This meant that the output from the individual drivers overlapped quite considerably (not necessarily a bad thing!). Nowadays, steeper crossover slopes (12dB/octave) are generally recommended to ensure that high/mid frequency drivers are not required to handle significant power outside of their intended frequency ranges.

Since your drivers came from an age before Theile/Small parameters, designing your crossovers will be more of an art than a science. Your ears will be your best tools I suspect! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.