Bass guitar speaker - newbee questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched around and found pretty much no info on such speakers, so I'm posting here as I wouldn't know in which forum to post.

I want to build a speaker for my son to play his electric bass. I was assuming it would be a one-way speaker, but one thread I came across suggested they were talking a two way. So not sure now.

My initial thinking was using two to four 10" or 12" drivers driven by something like this or this.

• Is a 1-way speaker the right approach?
  • What are good drivers for this application?
  • Sealed cabinet? I like sealed better for reproducing bass, but not sure if this is best for producing bass.
FWIW, my son’s room is small and this speaker will be placed under his desk against a wall.

Thank you in advance!

For this application I would go for a small combo/practice amp. Especially if he is just starting out. Even a 1x10 with one of those amps could be annoyingly loud in a home setting.

If he plans on playing out, I would consider a 1x12 + 1×15 stack. Gives you a lot of scalability for pretty much any setting. Cost effective and easy to build.

Need a little more information to give more detailed advice. I would recommend talkbass but you'll get 100's of different answers.

I've been playing for about 20 years and run 3-way active with a QSC Pld 4.5...overkill for most but a lot of fun.

Not much to "invent" here, go straight to the source :)

"The" reference amplifier and cabinet for Bass players are 300W tube powered Ampeg SVT amplifier and 8 x 10" "fridge" cabinet.

PXKMqKd.jpg

3790b1409d816ea95f2deb6c760d2aa8.jpg

The very good new is that a same sound, just not Stadium filling cabinet version can be built.

The 8 x 10" cabinet shown above is actually made out of 4 2 x 10" cabinets stacked, since each pair is separated from others by a wall to wall shelf, it immediately comes to mind that you can build a single 2 x 10" "cubicle" and use it on its own.

Ok, but, can I get the original speaker?
And, what about dimensions?

Thanks God both are available, straight from manufacturer.

Speaker is Eminence BP102 , get two 8 ohm ones and conect them in parallel
fot total 4 ohm load and 400W RMS power handling.
Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

which is accompanied by a Factory designed sheet showing 4 enclosures, 2 single and 2 double, either sealed or vented.
"Straight from the mouth of the horse":
https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_BP102_cab.pdf

Your Son will be very well equipped, not only for playing at home, but Band rehearsals and regular Club shows.

EDIT: recién veo que sos Argentino, cualquier duda mandame un WS al 67270841

Last edited:
It depends upon how your son plays bass. If it is thumb plucked on a precision bass fitted with flat wounds, then maybe a single 10inch speaker in a single cabinet will do. On the other hand, if he plays percussive slap bass, or uses a pick on light gauge round wounds on a jazz bass, say near the bridge, then it would more likely have to be a two way fitted with a crossover and a piezo tweeter. Besides, it is the lower midtones that articulate rhythm on a bass, and a three or four band eq for bass, lower minds, upper minds and treble is pretty much essential. Also, it depends on whether he intends to play bass as a Motown style rhythm instrument, or like Jaco style as a solo lead player.

But if he just wants to learn bass as bass, a single 10inch 40hz to 2khz genuine bass guitar speaker will be just fine. ToS

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
It depends upon how your son plays bass. If it is thumb plucked on a precision bass fitted with flat wounds, then maybe a single 10inch speaker in a single cabinet will do. On the other hand, if he plays percussive slap bass, or uses a pick on light gauge round wounds on a jazz bass, say near the bridge, then it would more likely have to be a two way fitted with a crossover and a piezo tweeter. Besides, it is the lower midtones that articulate rhythm on a bass, and a three or four band eq for bass, lower minds, upper minds and treble is pretty much essential. Also, it depends on whether he intends to play bass as a Motown style rhythm instrument, or like Jaco style as a solo lead player.

But if he just wants to learn bass as bass, a single 10inch 40hz to 2khz genuine bass guitar speaker will be just fine. ToS

Agree, start with a single 10 in. designed SPECIFICALLY for electric bass. see attached

Bass Guitar | Eminence Speaker

Many different makers use Eminence drivers and many people sell their raw drivers so it's a good place to start if you haven't ever done one before.

Designing Enclosures is easy with Eminence Designer Software | Eminence Speaker

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Agree, start with a single 10 in. designed SPECIFICALLY for electric bass. see attached

Bass Guitar | Eminence Speaker

Many different makers use Eminence drivers and many people sell their raw drivers so it's a good place to start if you haven't ever done one before.

Designing Enclosures is easy with Eminence Designer Software | Eminence Speaker

US Speaker - Eminence Legend B102 bass guitar 10" whizzer cone speaker. Great upgrade or replacement for bass cabinets.

This is very wide band for a 10 in bass guitar speaker and has been popular for years

although I always played with a "1-way" - a two way with good midrange speaker might be something a young player would find nice.

Here's the Fearful 12/6 plan
http://greenboy.us/fEARful/DL/12+6/fEARful 12+6.png

and the directory with crossver schematics
Index of /fEARful/DL/12+6

fEARful? enclosures for bass/drums/keys

suggested cabinets from Eminence

B102 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B102_cab.pdf

BP102 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_BP102_cab.pdf

and there's Bill Fitzmaurice's stuff - not sure what would fit under a desk ?

Jack

Last edited:
Thank you guys! This is exactly what I needed.

My son is only starting, so basically anything would work for him. My brother has played electric guitar (and some bass) for over 20 years so he pointed me to the amps I linked to, but he's not into audio so I was needing direction.

Outstanding to see quite some coincidence over Eminence drivers.

@JMFahey: The 2 x 10" option as starter, with the option to later add other 2 x 10" sections looks great! Thanks for the pointers to the Eminence website, drivers and cabs!
PS: Probablemente te contacte en unos días para estar en contacto. Gracias!

@ErnieM: The two amps I linked to are a lot lighter and smaller than the SVT, so we are aligned there. The drivers is where I think it's best using space (and weight). At least for now. If later he leans towards tubes (like I do for playback), then so be it :)

@tapestryofsound: the two amp options noted have bass/mids/treble tone controls so seems to be fine there.

How do you guys feel about sealed vs vented for playing? A matter of style, plain preference, function of the type of bass guitar used? At the sensitivity these drivers have and 250W amps, getting loud enough is not a concern, so could do sealed but wondering how the typical gentle slope in the lower end might sound when playing.

the only sealed cabinet I had was a 6X10" Traynor with old CTS speakers - cutoff was fairly high. Sealed would need a relatively small cabinet to keep Qtc and excursion workable - so plugging up the vent of a proper reflex size might not work well. A smaller size does seem attractive and tone controls might make it a workable option.

The qtc = 0.707 option for BP102 goes low enough and is ~0.9 cubic foot per driver
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_BP102_cab.pdf

Duke LeJeune of Audio Kinesis has some ideas for little light bass guitar cabinets

Home

(I've used Karlson cabinets - but those don't seem popular and multi - 10" Karlson type would be bulky)

I've got a SVT head needing preamp fixed and new capacitors - must weigh 75lb - FWIW I liked the old Traynor YBA3
tops although rated only around 100W

Last edited:
I second the suggestion of a small combo amp for a beginner. When he starts to play with others, he will still want a small combo for a "bedroom" amp. That way he will be able to leave the main rig where he practices with the band or for gigs, but have something for the "woodshed." Also, I have plugged a bass directly into a headphone amp for practice. Great for apartments and late night noodling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.