how do i create a port flare on MDF baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi ...

i am planning to convert my sealed main enclosures into ported enclosure ... now i am facing problem of how to create a flared port ... i am only using 1.5inch of diameter port ... my current concern now is due to my main speakers only 6inches ... do i really need to flare the ports or leave them unflared? please advice

if i do need to flare the port ... how do i do it on a MDF baffle? i am only pvc pipes as port now ...

thanks

The one recommendation I can add to the "do it by hand with a rasp/file" is make yourself a template out of a piece of thin cardboard that has the desired flare profile cut out of it. That way you can keep checking against it as you sneak up on the shape.

If the port air velocity is below 17m/s at the desired power you don't need to flare the port. Besides the flare needs to be at both ends for best effect.

You can get away with higher air velocity but I wouldn't go above 34m/s.

If I'm reading this correctly you are using a 1.5" port for a 6" driver which is a bit small as 2" would be better for that size driver.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
hi ...

i am planning to convert my sealed main enclosures into ported enclosure ... now i am facing problem of how to create a flared port ... i am only using 1.5inch of diameter port ... my current concern now is due to my main speakers only 6inches ... do i really need to flare the ports or leave them unflared? please advice

if i do need to flare the port ... how do i do it on a MDF baffle? i am only pvc pipes as port now ...

thanks

I used a "rasp" type file. You can match it to a drain pipe with a built in flare called a tail piece in the USA. These are sold for bathroom and kitchen drain pipe repairs; in the USA, the standard size for bathroom sink is 1 1/4 inch and the standard size for the kitchen sink is 1 1/2 inch. You probably have that available and the price is very cheap! The inside portion of the pipe can be cut to the correct length for tuning with hack saw. The material is just soft PVC plastic. I cut the inside at a 45 degree angle; not as sophisticated as an inside flare but it works quite well nonetheless.

see if this will open:

https://images.homedepot-static.com...everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9803-64_1000.jpg

And now for something completely different . . . :D

A flared opening could be made from clay on a potter's wheel or some kind of rotating base. A piece of wood with the appropriate radius cut along its edge could be used as a tool to shape the clay as it turns. Then dry it completely (heat, fire, etc.)

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The port doesn't have to be round. And the flaring doesn't have to be an exact round shape. The port already profits from a 45° angle on two sides at both ends, side view looking similar to this:

Code:
\_____/
 _____
/     \

That can easily be done with boards. To round off all the edges ofcourse helps too.

If you don't want to buy flared ports, I'd use a 2nd (or more) boards inside the enclosure at the port and use the file to round it off. You can do that with round or rectangle ports aswell. For optimum effect you'll have to do that on the inside too though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.