Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

first Time Build Accuton Active 3way
first Time Build Accuton Active 3way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2019, 01:45 AM   #1
Florenciabay is offline Florenciabay  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default first Time Build Accuton Active 3way

Hello

This will be the first set of speakers I have built

2 Closed Boxed Cabinets - Using 1" Baltic Birch

Accuton Drivers
C30-6-358 Tweeter
C168-6-990 Mid
AS250-8-552 Bass
DSP 192-4-111

I have modelled the cabinets with BassBox. I am looking for any advice from experience builders to make sure my selection of drivers are a good match for each other and the cabinet size for the mid will work.

Bass Cabinet

Shape: Prism, slanted front
Vb = 45.64 liters
Qtc = 0.563
QL = 7
F3 = 53.04 Hz

Mid Range Cabinet

Vb = 2.672 liters
Qtc = 0.441
QL = 7
F3 = 236 Hz

I am pretty sure size for the Bass cabinet is ok for size but not too sure the Mid because of the QTC. Some of the post I read makes me think I do not need to worry about the QTC for Mid cabinet.

I am in the process of building the DSP in a cabinet now. I plan to use 1-rst order of 3500 for HP filter and 300 for LP filter.

This something I plan to take my time doing over the next 2 years and these speakers are to replace my apogee scintillas which I really liked the sound but I am now needing to replace the bass panel so I want to make sure these speakers are designed properly and make me as happy as the apogees.
Old 18th April 2019, 02:17 AM   #2
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would strongly advise to get a different bass driver because of THIS. Pure Ceramic membranes are insanely stiff (theoretically ideal) but also extremely brittle. Too high excursion, be it because of no subsonic filter, power-on or power-off pop noise, unexpected peak, High Frequency interference (cell phone anyone?) or whatever, and your membrane shatters and the dirver is GONE! No, don't use a pure ceramic driver, there are tons of aluminium cone etc drivers available that do not shatter and got extensive frequency coverage and are so much cheaper, do not go for the pure ceramic drivers!
Old 18th April 2019, 03:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The bass according to their site is an aluminum sandwich and not ceramic. I don’t see me dropping the ceramic mid or tweeter out of my selection. I did consider
Flexunits 10 C 77 25 10 KAP by Audiotechnology as it appears to get some good reviews and it will save a bit of money. Most of the threads I have read only question whether the bass from Accuton is worth the money. Unless I get convinced that Accuton bass will not perform well I will probably stick with it.
Old 18th April 2019, 03:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

According to Accuton site the bass driver is aluminum sandwich. I do not plan to drop the ceramic mid or tweeter from my design. I did consider
Flexunits 10 C 77 25 10 KAP by Audiotechnology for the bass but the only negative I could find about the Accuton bass I picked was whether it was worth the money. I considered also whether it would be worth but in the end I decided to stick with it. If someone can convince me not to use it because of performance I may reconsider
Old 18th April 2019, 04:05 AM   #5
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you already chose one, why ask then?
Old 18th April 2019, 04:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

In my original post my main concern was not the drivers but the size of my cabinet for the mid.

What I want to know is a qtc of .441 too low for the mid cabinet. I seem to read a lot of mixed opinions about whether qtc is even important to consider for a mid cabinet.
Old 18th April 2019, 08:13 AM   #7
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Don't make a small (2-4 liter) closed cabinet for the mid,
you need to absorb the backwaves or let them escape, especially with the open back Accuton C168-6-990.

For my C173-6-090 I made a large lossy aperiodic cabinet (cone shaped) that let the backwave absorb and escape, see this post and this about Twaron.

See also the venturi vent in the Avalon clone with Accuton CELL.
My cone shaped mid cabinet resembles to this venturi.

Another nice larger mid cabinet in the XTZ divine.
I estimate about 10 liters in the XTZ.

Regards,
Danny

Last edited by danny_66; 18th April 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was concerned that my mid cabinet was too small and wanted to enlarge it but I was concerned about the qtc. Based on what you are saying I am assuming QTC is more of a concer for a bass cabinet. Your mid was a bit larger but do you think if I design my cabinet to be approx 10 lit it would not be too large.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:51 PM   #9
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I think that your primary concern should be minimizing the impact of the mid backwave.
See also the mid cabinets at Troels site, they're all larger.

Best is to make a test cabinet for the mid only with a moveable backside so you can adjust the volume.
This test cabinet can also be used to find the tweeter's optimal offset (to the backside) compared to the mid.

Last edited by danny_66; 18th April 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 18th April 2019, 03:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Test cabinet makes sense and I will experiment with that to get volume correct. As for the tweeter offset I thought the DSP would be able to deal with the offset of the tweeter by designer FIR filters.

first Time Build Accuton Active 3wayHide this!Advertise here!