Unitizing / synergizing horns - what type of horn works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Intro: I like single drivers (with subs). I like horns. Therefore I imagine that I would most probably like the sound of a virtual point source horn, something like the works of bwaslo, xrk971 and bushmeister and maybe others.

The horns/waveguides are not that easy to get, so I wonder, could I use CD waveguides of similar size? Biradial or with diffraction slot, etc. Is there any limitatio. but size of the horn in unitizing/synergizing it? A cheap test, proof of concept first, then the real thing, that is what I imagine.

Bill’s (bwaslo’s) small syns used the SEOS-15 waveguide and a DNA-360 compression driver. If you try contacting Erich at DIY Sound Group he might be able to help you out. Alternatively, you could try the swap meet forum here or the gear forum at AVSforum. People often sell the waveguides and compression drivers together.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Shipping and customs make cost kind of prohibitive if shipping from US, I could not google a good source of SEOS waveguides. Brinkman, could you please post some links?

Kipman725, interesting thread, subscribed. Compression driver with 4 midranges for maximal efficiency sounds nice.

This one looks like a good candidate: Dayton Audio H110 1" Constant Directivity Horn 90x40 1-3/8"-18 TPI - SoundImports

IMHO less ideal: Dayton Audio H812 1" Exponential Horn 100x60 2-Bolt - SoundImports

SEOS like, but smaller: Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI - SoundImports

Shipping and customs make cost kind of prohibitive if shipping from US, I could not google a good source of SEOS waveguides. Brinkman, could you please post some links?

The SEOS waveguides are manufactured by Erich at DIY Sound Group so he is going to be the only true source for them, second-hand sales withstanding. I know the website has them listed as out of stock; email Erich anyway and ask about the availability. He usually doesn’t respond right away so be patient. DIYSG is a non-profit organization that he runs on the side from his main source of income. The listed price for the items on the site is essentially him passing on his manufacturing and handling fees.

You could also try posting a “Wanted: SEOS-15 & DNA-360” in the swap meet forum. In your OP you could state your EU preference.

Good luck!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The Dayton Audio H110 is a poor choice:
1. Mid ranges must be mounted a long way from the throat which causes them to not be able to go high in frequency due to reflection null caused by reflection off the compression driver.
2. Screw on type compression driver attachment. Screw on type drivers are usually cheaper and don't go as low in frequency than the bolt on type.

I would look for horns that have flat sections for mounting the mids close to the throat. This would mean a conical expansion followed by another expansion (the second expansion improves mouth transition and loading).

Autotech makes fiberglass and casted SEOS. Dragon3D in Poland can print any horn you like. Biggest 1 meter like in AiA Cinema Black Swan (300Hz waveguide) is about 800eur each, 5mm thick, 137 hours print time. Smaller 15" 10mm thick is about 250 eur each.

Attachments

• AMT-wg.jpg
    AMT-wg.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 278
I printed six sets of my latest Unity waveguide. The upside is that my waveguide includes the mid-ranges and it's already unitized. You don't need to make mounting plates or drill holes in a waveguide, I've eliminated all the guesswork.

The downside is that 3D printed waveguides don't look as nice as waveguides from a mold. In particular, there's some splitting and warping in the print.

I can upload pics if you'd like. Cost will be around $60 each.

I've also uploaded the model to Shapeways.

Details: "Unitized" Image Control Waveguide

Patrick, your 3D printed WG already caught my attention, thanks for sharing the model. It will be easier to have it printed locally, the shipping and customs could be easily 2-3x the price in the end.

Did you see Bill’s 3D-printed unity horn stub? It is smaller than a full horn because it is only the portion of the unity horn that the compression driver and mids mount to with a termination so that it can easily be extended with mdf/plywood/whatever. It would be a comparatively inexpensive 3D print to have done locally and avoid paying shipping/customs. It uses the same CD and closed-back mids as the full 3D printed unity horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.