Faital 10RS350. Suitable for 2 way?

Hi all!

It seems a very interesting driver, so bought a pair of them in the 8ohm version.

Faital Pro 10RS350 10" Bass Speakers - Faital Pro 10RS350 10" speaker for bass guitar. - Faital Pro 10RS350 600 watt 10" bass guitar speaker for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10RS350

My plan is to put them in a pair of small vented boxes (around 1cubic feet/30 liters tuned to 40-42Hz)

What I didnt notice is the high Le (1mH) so Im not sure if it would work with a 1" comp driver. Crossed around 1-1,5k

I want to avoid the 3 way option.

Do you think guys it would work?

Thanks!

Thanks Kipman,

Yeah, it has an ugly peak at cone breakup. Will have to tame it.

l'll try a 90 degrees horn as you say, but also want to try a tractrix. I think I'll need a horn/waveguide that lets me cross the CD as low as possible (Any ideas/help is welcome) due to the high woofer Le.

After some drawings, I think baffle will be around 13" wide so it wont help.

Hey Qts, nice you're in the same boat.

Couldn't find any 2 way project in the web using them.

Have you drawn the cabinet? What port diameter will you use? I want to use a 80-90mm but going 90mm needs around 300mm long and dont know how to fit it into the box.

Man, those horns are pretty nice. I think they deserve the
RCFs ;)

The 10RS350 is a subwoofer driver. The resonance at 700-800 Hz doesn't show at the frequency response but it takes ages to decay, distortion got a peak there too. I don't think it will perform well in the midrange.

:( Thats what I didnt want to read.

On the specs sheet, it seemed similar to other 10" mid bass drivers but just with a lower Fs and sensivity.

Icg, you tried them?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
No, I didn't and I won't, I've seen measurements. You don't have to make every mistake yourself. The lower fs, high Mms, high excursion, high inductance and low spl are making it clear it's made for small subwoofers. For a 2-way you can't use the high excursion because that produces intermodulation distortion in the midrange. The midrange is not rising, it's dropping because of the high Le. The resonances are just the icing on top of it. It simply isn't a bass mid driver.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Ok Icg. We both think that the high Le wont help with mids, but, how can you explain then that there are a lot of good 12"+1" designs using drivers with up to 2mH at 1000Hz?

Just take a look at Dr. Geedes and his nice NA12. He's using this driver:

B&C Speakers

Those graphs are not much different than the faital ones.

GedLee said
This is a closed box design and is intended to be used with multiple subs
He said BR is possible but "not be desirable".
GedLee LLC

At first, the parameters are completely different. It got a very high Mms but a huge voice coil and it got a massive motor, BL24 while the Faital got a BL of just 14, resulting in a very low Qts of 0,22 (that's usually horn territory, the 0,37 clearly bassreflex).
Le is one of the factors, but not the only one. It got a much higher spl (96dB), the driver got aluminium demodulating rings, which reduces the distortion especally in the midrange and on higher excursions.

The graph is vastly different. Scaling does matter and in this case you can see how steep the B&C 12NBX100 drops below 120Hz, the Faital below 100Hz but very slowly. Aside from that, in the sealed enclosure it won't make much bass. I don't know how GedLee measured that response in the bass, my simulation says it's usable from ~120Hz up in a very small enclosure or 100Hz but needs some Eq-ing.

Anyway, you don't believe me and that's fine. Just do whatever you think will be the best. It's your money, after all.

Icg, yes, I trust you, and your explanation was very helpful. I just wanted to understand why it wouldn´t work.

Don´t want to build a cabinet and then realise that has distorted or poor mids, so thanks for your advice.

Qts, your backup plan looks good, but I don´t want to add more drivers and complexity in the xover, so really I don´t know what to do now.

Maybe I should keep for a "sub+satellite system" or return them.