Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since the Synergy Horn is 22" wide, you can construct a 22" wide woofer cabinet for both a "clean" unified physical appearance and a lower frequency baffle step. 28" high and 12" deep should net a little over 3cuft.

Model a 3cuft ported cabinet with 3" diameter port 5.9" long tuned to 28Hz.

The distances to the rear and side walls will establish the total baffle step low bass effects.

Because your Synergy horn is very efficiency, it will require a large attenuation to blend with a single DS315-8 woofer.

Since the Synergy Horn is 22" wide, you can construct a 22" wide woofer cabinet for both a "clean" unified physical appearance and a lower frequency baffle step. 28" high and 12" deep should net a little over 3cuft.

The distances to the rear and side walls will establish the total baffle step low bass effects.

Because your Synergy horn is very efficiency, it will require a large attenuation to blend with a single DS315-8 woofer.

Thanks LineSource,
The size you provide is 3.3cu.ft. I like big box but can I use 4" port for I have that handy. I'm working on the crossover at 300hz with BW3 which actually is your design that I posted couple pages back. I think I am going to change some numbers to suit. Don't know it works or not but I'll post it for your comment.
Regards

Since the Synergy Horn is 22" wide, you can construct a 22" wide woofer cabinet for both a "clean" unified physical appearance and a lower frequency baffle step.

I 'beat that drum' earlier to no avail........... :(

HR 'says' even a 4" is pretty marginal even at < rated power............

GM

I try make up some simulations with the web program. Please advise which one is more suitable for my application and make corrections if need be.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_200307.jpg
    IMG_20190517_200307.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 117
"Because your Synergy horn is very efficiency, it will require a large attenuation to blend with a single DS315-8 woofer."

I did have a deeper thinking about the efficiency matching over the weekend. Since my idea is to drive this speaker with one amp, would it been better matched with a 97/98db woofer??
I have a pair Eminence Kappa 15c 15" woofer but in 4 ohm though.
Regards

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
"Because your Synergy horn is very efficiency, it will require a large attenuation to blend with a single DS315-8 woofer."

I did have a deeper thinking about the efficiency matching over the weekend. Since my idea is to drive this speaker with one amp, would it been better matched with a 97/98db woofer??
I have a pair Eminence Kappa 15c 15" woofer but in 4 ohm though.
Regards

It's much better to use a bi-amp configuration. You don't waste a lot of power and it's easier to adapt the sound to the room. And you don't need to care about the impedance in the bass anyway.

I'm sorry to say that but if bi-amping complicates things for you, you're obviously doing it wrong.

Please kindly tell me what is wrong with the idea of simply things. I like the sound of all my SE amps but don't want to run them through eq, active, crossover and with two/three power amps. To my ears, distortion is higher that way. I like my SE amp direct to a single full range driver, but still can't find the driver which can cover the whole sound spectrum.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Please kindly tell me what is wrong with the idea of simply things. I like the sound of all my SE amps but don't want to run them through eq, active, crossover and with two/three power amps. To my ears, distortion is higher that way. I like my SE amp direct to a single full range driver, but still can't find the driver which can cover the whole sound spectrum.

What are you talking about? I was talking about bi-amping.

Like I said, if the distortion rises at bi- or tri-amping, you're doing something wrong. By tearing up the crossover at the wrong part, creating an impedance minimum or extreme phase shift your amp(s) may actually distort more. That could ie. be a impedance compensation which only works with a certain other crossover part before it or a notch filter or similar. That's not a general bi-amp problem though but one of either your amp, amp/speaker combination or incorrectly done bi-amp connection. It can even be a ground loop or phase problem, it can also mean your preamp doesn't like to 'feed' several power amps because the output/input impedance.

If you are talking about an active speaker, distortion can be caused by a crappy design of the xo or preamp in any part of the chain, a defect, mismatch of the input/output impedance of the pre-/amps or a wrong gain structure. Opposing to a wide spread misconception, the gain and maximum input voltage are often misunderstood. If you over-drive any stage, you can't get that distortion out of the system anymore. Distortion can ofcourse also be the result of a really off setting on a DSP or active crossover, like too low/high highpass/lowpass filters, too low filter order, too high filter order or too much/wrong EQ-ing.
That's not a general problem of active systems or DSPs, it's up to you to use it correctly.

I like my SE amp direct to a single full range driver, but still can't find the driver which can cover the whole sound spectrum.

That depends on your expectations. There are many viable options or none at all, just depending on what expectations and marks to reach you're demand to be fulfilled. There are surely a lot of combinations of speaker size/frequency range/dispersion pattern/max spl/efficiency/price/interaction with your listening room/your signal chain that can't do that. I can't tell you anything about that without knowing what you're expecting.

What are you talking about? I was talking about bi-amping.

Like I said, if the distortion rises at bi- or tri-amping, you're doing something wrong. By tearing up the crossover at the wrong part, creating an impedance minimum or extreme phase shift your amp(s) may actually distort more. That could ie. be a impedance compensation which only works with a certain other crossover part before it or a notch filter or similar. That's not a general bi-amp problem though but one of either your amp, amp/speaker combination or incorrectly done bi-amp connection. It can even be a ground loop or phase problem, it can also mean your preamp doesn't like to 'feed' several power amps because the output/input impedance.

If you are talking about an active speaker, distortion can be caused by a crappy design of the xo or preamp in any part of the chain, a defect, mismatch of the input/output impedance of the pre-/amps or a wrong gain structure. Opposing to a wide spread misconception, the gain and maximum input voltage are often misunderstood. If you over-drive any stage, you can't get that distortion out of the system anymore. Distortion can ofcourse also be the result of a really off setting on a DSP or active crossover, like too low/high highpass/lowpass filters, too low filter order, too high filter order or too much/wrong EQ-ing.
That's not a general problem of active systems or DSPs, it's up to you to use it correctly.

That depends on your expectations. There are many viable options or none at all, just depending on what expectations and marks to reach you're demand to be fulfilled. There are surely a lot of combinations of speaker size/frequency range/dispersion pattern/max spl/efficiency/price/interaction with your listening room/your signal chain that can't do that. I can't tell you anything about that without knowing what you're expecting.
Thanks so much for your detail explanation /advices. What I want to tell you is there is nothing wrong with my eq and or bi-amping. Everything goes fin, sounds good and works well but I just wish if I could simplify thing with whatever available with me and make it simple. I like the sound from all my SE amps. That is all. No offence of any kind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.