Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer box
Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 03:13 AM   #11
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
The Dayton DS315-8 got a Qts of 0,31. That means, in a sealed enclosure it won't go deep, that's a typical BR driver. If you use enough polyester wadding to actually achieve virtual volume increase, your bassreflex port will hardly work anymore. The minimum usable BR enclosure size for the DS315 is around 50l, 60l would be better (sry, won't convert and calculate the measurements into imperial units, too tired).
60L is 2.1188 pretty close to 2.2cu. ft
Old 16th May 2019, 03:39 AM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
Thanks GM for the link
You're welcome!

GM
Old 16th May 2019, 03:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome!

GM
After reading the article, I think for my ported box, a pound a foot is about right.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:00 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just found this crossover posted by LineSource a while back. It looks it might fit to my purpose by changing some numbers.
The horn's crossover point is 385 hz, I think something around 300 hz for the woofer would be at the ballpark.
Please advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS315-8 3 way.jpg (121.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 16th May 2019, 04:10 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd like to build a pair of 3cu.ft. vented box and tune to 30hz if possible.

I want the box height around 28-30" so to sit the wood horn right on top. I figure the size around 12"w x 16"D x 28"H but don't know if it is a good reasonable proportion.
3 ft^3 is a good size once the driver, vent, bracing is factored in though from looking at your room, thinking tuning to ~27 Hz will be better overall. To keep vent mach reasonable, 4" dia. x 12.68".

Recommend the baffle, top plate be at least the same width as the horn and ideally at least 30" to offset baffle step loss even if the cab isn't. The cab itself can be some golden or acoustic ratio. If the baffle is wider than the horn, then it too ideally needs a same width baffle that extends above it a like amount.

GM
Old 16th May 2019, 04:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After reading the article, I think for my ported box, a pound a foot is about right.
If you build the 3 ft^3 in a golden or acoustic ratio, you'll only need minimal damping on one wall, back and top to quell any 'hollowness'.

GM
Old 16th May 2019, 04:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
3 ft^3 is a good size once the driver, vent, bracing is factored in though from looking at your room, thinking tuning to ~27 Hz will be better overall. To keep vent mach reasonable, 4" dia. x 12.68".

Recommend the baffle, top plate be at least the same width as the horn and ideally at least 30" to offset baffle step loss even if the cab isn't. The cab itself can be some golden or acoustic ratio. If the baffle is wider than the horn, then it too ideally needs a same width baffle that extends above it a like amount.

GM
Thanks GM for the fast response.
I really don't mind a big box, I love bass.
Should I need a baffle so wide? My intention is to put the horn on top of the woofer.
Regards
Old 16th May 2019, 04:16 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you build the 3 ft^3 in a golden or acoustic ratio, you'll only need minimal damping on one wall, back and top to quell any 'hollowness'.

GM
Copied n thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 05:44 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

Actually, I prefer classic alignments, so personally would build [measured] Vas/1.44 [net] tuned to Fs, so assuming Vas, Fs is reasonably accurate: ~3.9 net/4.1 ft^3, 24.2 Hz Fb. A 'tighter' sounding alignment with typically a better blend to the room, but the trade-off is less power handling in the ~30-50 Hz BW, though near wall locations tend to fill it in and cause smaller cabs/higher tunings to be a bit 'loose/'boomy' in some apps.

The other advantage, and the main reason for me preferring/recommending larger cabs, is they have more tuning flexibility, so can always shrink, re-tune it if need be.

Understood and why I posted what I did.

If you want a tonally balanced system, then some form of baffle step compensation is required, so either need a wide enough baffle and/or either boosting or shelving EQ, both of which reduces dynamic headroom, though boosting the lows is usually the lesser of two evils, another good reason to tune low as practical.

GM
Old 16th May 2019, 03:40 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're welcome!

Actually, I prefer classic alignments, so personally would build [measured] Vas/1.44 [net] tuned to Fs, so assuming Vas, Fs is reasonably accurate: ~3.9 net/4.1 ft^3, 24.2 Hz Fb. A 'tighter' sounding alignment with typically a better blend to the room, but the trade-off is less power handling in the ~30-50 Hz BW, though near wall locations tend to fill it in and cause smaller cabs/higher tunings to be a bit 'loose/'boomy' in some apps.

The other advantage, and the main reason for me preferring/recommending larger cabs, is they have more tuning flexibility, so can always shrink, re-tune it if need be.

Understood and why I posted what I did.

If you want a tonally balanced system, then some form of baffle step compensation is required, so either need a wide enough baffle and/or either boosting or shelving EQ, both of which reduces dynamic headroom, though boosting the lows is usually the lesser of two evils, another good reason to tune low as practical.

GM
Thanks GM,
I don't mind big box really. I still remember I once making a 4.5 cu. ft box for the JBL LE14a. The result is stunning but found the mid not that adorable up to 1.5k cross-over point.
I'd keep the size at 2.5 - 3 cu. ft for this. I'm try to skip the eq if possible therefore I could run with one power amp. I need help in the design of that 280/300Hz cross-over with the boost. I know nothing about crossover, been trying many times sim with the web program with no success. I end up with lots of parts laying around. LineSource, wish you can chim in.
Regards

Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer boxHide this!Advertise here!