Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer box
Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 03:13 AM   #11
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
albertli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
The Dayton DS315-8 got a Qts of 0,31. That means, in a sealed enclosure it won't go deep, that's a typical BR driver. If you use enough polyester wadding to actually achieve virtual volume increase, your bassreflex port will hardly work anymore. The minimum usable BR enclosure size for the DS315 is around 50l, 60l would be better (sry, won't convert and calculate the measurements into imperial units, too tired).
60L is 2.1188 pretty close to 2.2cu. ft
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 03:39 AM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
Thanks GM for the link
You're welcome!

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 03:53 AM   #13
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
albertli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome!

GM
After reading the article, I think for my ported box, a pound a foot is about right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 04:00 AM   #14
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
albertli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Just found this crossover posted by LineSource a while back. It looks it might fit to my purpose by changing some numbers.
The horn's crossover point is 385 hz, I think something around 300 hz for the woofer would be at the ballpark.
Please advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS315-8 3 way.jpg (121.5 KB, 67 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 04:10 AM   #15
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
I'd like to build a pair of 3cu.ft. vented box and tune to 30hz if possible.

I want the box height around 28-30" so to sit the wood horn right on top. I figure the size around 12"w x 16"D x 28"H but don't know if it is a good reasonable proportion.
3 ft^3 is a good size once the driver, vent, bracing is factored in though from looking at your room, thinking tuning to ~27 Hz will be better overall. To keep vent mach reasonable, 4" dia. x 12.68".

Recommend the baffle, top plate be at least the same width as the horn and ideally at least 30" to offset baffle step loss even if the cab isn't. The cab itself can be some golden or acoustic ratio. If the baffle is wider than the horn, then it too ideally needs a same width baffle that extends above it a like amount.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 04:15 AM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
After reading the article, I think for my ported box, a pound a foot is about right.
If you build the 3 ft^3 in a golden or acoustic ratio, you'll only need minimal damping on one wall, back and top to quell any 'hollowness'.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 04:16 AM   #17
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
albertli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
3 ft^3 is a good size once the driver, vent, bracing is factored in though from looking at your room, thinking tuning to ~27 Hz will be better overall. To keep vent mach reasonable, 4" dia. x 12.68".

Recommend the baffle, top plate be at least the same width as the horn and ideally at least 30" to offset baffle step loss even if the cab isn't. The cab itself can be some golden or acoustic ratio. If the baffle is wider than the horn, then it too ideally needs a same width baffle that extends above it a like amount.

GM
Thanks GM for the fast response.
I really don't mind a big box, I love bass.
Should I need a baffle so wide? My intention is to put the horn on top of the woofer.
Regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 04:16 AM   #18
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
albertli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
If you build the 3 ft^3 in a golden or acoustic ratio, you'll only need minimal damping on one wall, back and top to quell any 'hollowness'.

GM
Copied n thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 05:44 AM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
You're welcome!

Actually, I prefer classic alignments, so personally would build [measured] Vas/1.44 [net] tuned to Fs, so assuming Vas, Fs is reasonably accurate: ~3.9 net/4.1 ft^3, 24.2 Hz Fb. A 'tighter' sounding alignment with typically a better blend to the room, but the trade-off is less power handling in the ~30-50 Hz BW, though near wall locations tend to fill it in and cause smaller cabs/higher tunings to be a bit 'loose/'boomy' in some apps.

The other advantage, and the main reason for me preferring/recommending larger cabs, is they have more tuning flexibility, so can always shrink, re-tune it if need be.

Understood and why I posted what I did.

If you want a tonally balanced system, then some form of baffle step compensation is required, so either need a wide enough baffle and/or either boosting or shelving EQ, both of which reduces dynamic headroom, though boosting the lows is usually the lesser of two evils, another good reason to tune low as practical.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 03:40 PM   #20
albertli is offline albertli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
albertli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome!

Actually, I prefer classic alignments, so personally would build [measured] Vas/1.44 [net] tuned to Fs, so assuming Vas, Fs is reasonably accurate: ~3.9 net/4.1 ft^3, 24.2 Hz Fb. A 'tighter' sounding alignment with typically a better blend to the room, but the trade-off is less power handling in the ~30-50 Hz BW, though near wall locations tend to fill it in and cause smaller cabs/higher tunings to be a bit 'loose/'boomy' in some apps.

The other advantage, and the main reason for me preferring/recommending larger cabs, is they have more tuning flexibility, so can always shrink, re-tune it if need be.

Understood and why I posted what I did.

If you want a tonally balanced system, then some form of baffle step compensation is required, so either need a wide enough baffle and/or either boosting or shelving EQ, both of which reduces dynamic headroom, though boosting the lows is usually the lesser of two evils, another good reason to tune low as practical.

GM
Thanks GM,
I don't mind big box really. I still remember I once making a 4.5 cu. ft box for the JBL LE14a. The result is stunning but found the mid not that adorable up to 1.5k cross-over point.
I'd keep the size at 2.5 - 3 cu. ft for this. I'm try to skip the eq if possible therefore I could run with one power amp. I need help in the design of that 280/300Hz cross-over with the boost. I know nothing about crossover, been trying many times sim with the web program with no success. I end up with lots of parts laying around. LineSource, wish you can chim in.
Regards
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Dayton DS315-8 12" woofer boxHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OB speakers using 8" woofer+3" dayton ps95-08 coherenceaudio Multi-Way 22 10th September 2015 07:55 AM
Dayton Audio DS315-8 12" woofer WhiteRhino Multi-Way 6 11th June 2014 09:16 PM
Dayton 10" woofer project dzkh63 Multi-Way 1 23rd June 2013 12:12 AM
dayton 4" woofer tyler477 Full Range 2 18th September 2008 03:17 AM
Dayton 295-305 (6.5" Woofer) problems? jsd Multi-Way 5 27th June 2004 02:21 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki