Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Best contact cement available in UK?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2019, 05:59 PM   #11
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've used Evostick myself and it didn't seem as strong as the thixofix stuff. Although the Evo has been through formula changes over the years so who knows if what you buy today is the same as what I used.

Changes were apparently made to reduce emissions and with it bond strength suffered. I'd imagine you can't really go wrong with either.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:04 PM   #12
StewartH83 is offline StewartH83  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to StewartH83
I had great success on a pair of DIY curved loudspeakers using Titebond veneer glue and vacuum bagging removing the air from the bag. Rapid dry time too 😊
Old 16th April 2019, 02:42 AM   #13
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have your rubber roller ready to tighten the connection, maybe also a rubber mallet.

B.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:49 AM   #14
lordy101 is offline lordy101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Have your rubber roller ready to tighten the connection, maybe also a rubber mallet.

B.
Thanks, got a j roller on order. Waiting on a delivery of paper backed walnut veneer now.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:48 AM   #15
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would stay away of contact cement (PVA-based). It has a few issues for veneering:

1. It sometimes manages to penetrate the veneer and come up to the surface
2. If you have small gaps or uneven surface the bond will be weak
3. Can react with veneers that contain tannins - like oak veneer for example - creating black/grey spots
4. Is harder to work with (veneering only) compared to polychloroprene glues

I have tried many and hide glue and polychloroprene based ones (Henkel Moment Classic) a.k.a. shoe glue works best for veneering. For joints of the wood panels - PVA all the way unless you have slight gaps, then a polyurethane glue might be better suited as it expands a little.

Best contact cement available in UK?Hide this!Advertise here!