Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Some insight before making any purchases
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 09:11 PM   #1
xThehavok is offline xThehavok
diyAudio Member

Default Some insight before making any purchases

Hey all (noob warning) just joined to get a bit of insight before i make any purchases.

Ill get right to the point, i was looking at using the dayton audio PT2C-8 planer tweeter with 2 dayton audio's DSA270-8 10" woofers per side for the front 2 floorstanding speakers with a 3-4 khz or so crossover and L pad for the tweeter.

Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter

Dayton Audio DSA270-8 10" Designer Series Aluminum Cone Woofer

I like the woofers but they dont make a 4 ohm version so i can make a 8 ohm load to match the tweeter.

Question is this, can i use the woofers wired in a paralleled 4 ohm load with the 8 ohm tweeter? Some people are saying yes from some google searches but what total speaker ohms would that be? Any other dangers of doing this?

I have a B&K 125.5 that is 4 ohm stable but runs hot enough in 8 ohms for me to want to stay away from that, i already cooked the mosfets (i think) on one channel one night having a 4 ohm sub hooked up and having my system cranked for hours partying my face oof.

Thanks all
Old 14th April 2019, 10:22 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xThehavok View Post
Question is this, can i use the woofers wired in a paralleled 4 ohm load with the 8 ohm tweeter? Some people are saying yes from some google searches but what total speaker ohms would that be? Any other dangers of doing this?
The total speaker ohms will, to all intents and purposes, be equal to 4 ohms - the sum of the two 8 ohm drivers in parallel. The tweeter's impedance only comes into play at very high frequencies where very little power is consumed relative to bass/mid frequencies.

The combination you have suggested can be made to work with a suitably designed crossover network, but your amplifier must be able to continuously power a 4 ohm load.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:41 PM   #3
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

not including lowpass inductance + DCR, two drivers dips below 3 0hms

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:56 PM   #4
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks freddi!

The impedance curve suggests that xThehavok would be unwise to parallel two of these particular woofers.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:57 PM   #5
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you parallel wire 2 drivers, it will halve the impedance (as already said) and therefore it will draw double the power (+3dB). The double cone surface adds another 3dB, that means, you'll always have to check first if your tweeter is loud enough (the Dayton PT2C is). That ofcourse does not apply at an active setup.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:46 AM   #6
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

That woofer will "beam" at the crossover frequency. Meaning the sound it radiates to the sides will be quieter than straight forward. The tweeter does not beam much at all at 3k. With the radiation pattern being different at the crossover, it will lead to a ragged frequency response curve off axis. Its not that it's not doable, but almost everyone would consider it not ideal. The solution is a smaller woofer. To 3k, many would consider a 6 1/2" ideal. Separate subwoofer to fill out the bass?
Old 15th April 2019, 04:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick replies! I have my heart set on a twin 10" woofer set up with a planer tweeter in a 2 way configuration but if that set up is going to hit the 3 ohm mark sometimes, thats too much. I was looking at 2 of the Goldwood GW-10PC-4 10" woofers with the same tweeter and was looking like it might work but with the RMS of 140 per woofer might be too much for my B&K 125.5 can deliver.

Goldwood GW-10PC-4 10" Heavy Duty Woofer 4 Ohm

What about these Dayton Audio SD270A-88 10" 's? Or is that frequency response not going to cut it.

Dayton Audio SD270A-88 10" DVC Subwoofer

Thanks again guys.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I know these are both cutting it really close on the frequency side but iw as thinking because theres 2 in each cabinet it might smooth out the response enough to work with a 3 khz crossover. What do you guys think?
Old 15th April 2019, 05:23 AM   #9
jmproductions is offline jmproductions  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspieker View Post
That woofer will "beam" at the crossover frequency. Meaning the sound it radiates to the sides will be quieter than straight forward. The tweeter does not beam much at all at 3k. With the radiation pattern being different at the crossover, it will lead to a ragged frequency response curve off axis. Its not that it's not doable, but almost everyone would consider it not ideal. The solution is a smaller woofer. To 3k, many would consider a 6 1/2" ideal. Separate subwoofer to fill out the bass?
I agree 100%. A 10" 2-way config requires a lot of compromise.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oh yes i forgot to reply about the subs, yes im thinking about using 2 classic dayton subs with 2 of daytons SPA250DSP plate amps. Currently im saving my money to buy the house im living in and am only spending enough to get me my 2 fronts up and running and im holding off for about 6 monthes or so before i do the 2 subs, centers and surrounds. What ever i come up with for the fronts ill be matching with the center and surrounds.

Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Dayton Audio SPA250DSP 250W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier with DSP

Some insight before making any purchasesHide this!Advertise here!