Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Some insight before making any purchases
Some insight before making any purchases
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2019, 07:18 AM   #11
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

You'll need a different tweeter if you want a 10" 2-way.
The tweeter will have to be able to play to around 1kHz cleanly. To get that low requires a very robust dome unit, a compression driver, or a very large ribbon/planar. The candidates in the ribbon/dome areas I could likely count on one hand, and literally dwarf the budget you likely have given yourself.

In short- please don't do this.
Later,
Wolf
Old 15th April 2019, 08:57 AM   #12
jmproductions is offline jmproductions  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xThehavok View Post
Oh yes i forgot to reply about the subs, yes im thinking about using 2 classic dayton subs with 2 of daytons SPA250DSP plate amps.
In that case you could look at some midwoofer type drivers, giving up a little low freq extension because you'll get it back later. This way you'll get a faster driver that will play mids more accurately, can xo at 2-3khz, and probably also pick up some efficiency. Something more like a pro audio driver would make sense plus you'll not have trouble finding 4ohm.

Last edited by jmproductions; 15th April 2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:37 AM   #13
mashaffer is offline mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder if 9ne could overcome the beaming issue by having the two 10s angled slightly toward opposite sides. How bout having one rear firing so that reflected sound can fill in the dispersion pattern?
Old 15th April 2019, 01:29 PM   #14
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xThehavok View Post
I was looking at 2 of the Goldwood GW-10PC-4 10" woofers with the same tweeter and was looking like it might work but with the RMS of 140 per woofer might be too much for my B&K 125.5 can deliver.
There appears to be a misunderstanding of power ratings here. The 140W RMS power rating of the woofer simply indicates the maximum power it can handle.

Your B&K AV 125.5 amp of power rating 125W RMS @ 8 ohm per channel will not be overloaded by the speaker.
Old 26th April 2019, 04:59 PM   #15
xThehavok is offline xThehavok
diyAudio Member

Alright guys if anyone is still following this, i went ahead and bought 2 of the PT2-c planer's and 4 of the SD270A-88 10" woofers. On the website they call these woofers subwoofers for some reason even though they hit well past 2000hz. My original idea was i wanted to mimic the Klipche towers that have the 2 10" woofers. I thought for sure i would have less mids and a brighter high but with warmer bass to it, thats not what happened. On my Asus Xonar DX program i have to drop everything past 250 hz on quite a bit. These things scream in the mids and highs but the bass is nice and deep. I planned on getting these and learning hands on what i can learn and i think ive learned this. My next tower build i want to use the same planer's and maybe the same woofers but with a higher tune then 28hz, and maybe put in mids just to segregate the sound a bit better. I went with a rear firing port because i really liked my Cerwin Vega e715's when it comes to their bass. I think i might stick with a front firing port for the next build for easier placement.

All in all these do sound quite good but the mids are a bit much. I can hear things ive never heard before in music and movies. These speakers do alot better with movies with there clearity then music (i like warmth in music)
Old 27th April 2019, 09:26 AM   #16
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

What did you use as a crossover? From your description it appears that the tweeter is not padded and there is no baffle step compensation (yet? ).
Old 27th April 2019, 02:11 PM   #17
xThehavok is offline xThehavok
diyAudio Member

I have the L pads, just havnt put them in yet, ive been using the digital equilizer on my Xonar sound card program to pad it a little bit, but honestly its the mids around 1-2 khz that are too high.

I just used a out of the box dayton audio 3 khz 2nd order crossover to get up and running, so nothing fancy there. I plan on making my own crossover soon with some baffle compensation. I need to learn a lot more about crossovers before i jump into that though.

Side note, going through some different kinds of music to hear how the speakers performed. Going from rock and metal to han zimmer and a couple rap songs (just to see how the bass was responding). One rap song i was sitting close to my speaker to listen for air leaking from the box and noticed the planars were flexing at the low bass part (20hz or so) had me a bit worried.

Some insight before making any purchasesHide this!Advertise here!