Any threads on improving cheap speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
During that particular period Yamaha/Sanyo/Sony etc had issues with tariffs and it was common to have Japanese systems supplied with Australian made speakers. Lowest cost bidder naturally but using a know Japanese design or criteria.
I think that this pair is one of those. But the Etone woofers would indeed, most probably be a replacement.
I have an idea of how I would do a rebuild but it is dependent on the quality and SPL of the bass from the woofers

That's a very interesting bit of history.

I've got plenty of ideas and will oscillate wildly between them until I actually start drilling holes but what I've been toying with is of centrally mounting the midrange and (one) tweeter above the woofer close together (grind some of the tweeter flange off) and mounting the other tweeter on the rear for a bit of ambiance.

The woofer seems half decent, probably the best thing about the speaker but the enclosure needs bracing and stuffing big time.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Think about mounting the tweeter firing up too.
If you don't mind paying postage and building a small internal enclosure I might be able to rustle up some decent 70mm midrange drivers to do an MTM. I was given them years ago and still sitting there waiting for me to use them
Came from several HTIaB sets I have stripped but power handing of a pair X'd over about 300 is good as is dispersion

Think about mounting the tweeter firing up too.
If you don't mind paying postage and building a small internal enclosure I might be able to rustle up some decent 70mm midrange drivers to do an MTM. I was given them years ago and still sitting there waiting for me to use them
Came from several HTIaB sets I have stripped but power handing of a pair X'd over about 300 is good as is dispersion

Very, very generous of you Moondog but I couldn't promise to use them quickly! Like many here I also have random drivers gathering dust. If you're looking to declutter though I'd take them?

In an ideal world I'd buy some measurement gear, sit down and try get my head around an entirely new crossover for them but I think for now I'll be happy to use the original drivers and perhaps just some better caps.

I was just thinking about upward firing the tweeter too, perhaps even located down the back of the speaker to delay the output even more?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.