Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Any threads on improving cheap speakers?
Any threads on improving cheap speakers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2019, 12:47 PM   #61
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Progress!

I've put one pillow directly behind each woofer, quite snug but the magnet probably displaces the pillow enough to let the driver breath? Anyway, it makes a substantial difference, well worth it. I'll eventually try lining with foam and I have a couple more pillows so maybe even more stuffing? I know it's possible to over damp but I'm wondering how much would be too much?

The caps are interesting.
I think they've also made quite a difference but it took a few back and forths before I was sure of it? The sound seemed to want to travel away from the enclosure a bit more, the bass seemed more articulate too (I suppose the upper range drivers help with the leading edge of the bass lines?) overall it just felt a little cleaner and rounder? I think an important indicator is that when listening to the recapped speaker I started to forget I was meant to be listening critically, toes tapped a bit more. A good indicator.
I feel that bracing might make the differences more obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190418_191301_resized.jpg (448.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20190418_190815_resized.jpg (720.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20190418_190743_resized.jpg (701.2 KB, 113 views)
Old 18th April 2019, 08:07 PM   #62
StewartH83 is offline StewartH83  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to StewartH83
Glad your making good progress 😁

As you changed the caps their tolorence will be different which can change the phase slightly too so the sound will appear to be be closer/further on the driver. The smoothness will be the better type of cap 😁

You can get poly fill from fabric shops for a couple of quid yet can have different fibres in so worth checking

If you brace the cabs you will need less wadding, which is better. Wadding makes the cabs appear to have larger internal volume, yet importantly, uses/wastes energy.

Your learning well just like us all at one point

It's valued learning what you are doing and respect why you don't want to spend too much, makes sense. An old saying... You can't polish a turd, but you can throw glitter on it👍
Old 18th April 2019, 09:52 PM   #63
drewmc is offline drewmc  United States
diyAudio Member

Most likely those small magnet woofers have a very high Q- factor. More stuffing is usually better. Depending on how high the Q, aperiodic venting may be better than overstuffing.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:19 PM   #64
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
That measuring up a crossover would bring results, even if using cheaper parts.
Well yes. If starting from scratch with good quality parts.
For a project such as this I simply use the factory values on the assumption that near enough is good enough when talking about cheap caps that may have up to 10% variation on the stated value and that the drivers may also vary as much themselves.
Despite this most cheap speakers do seem to sound the same when played side by side
Old 19th April 2019, 12:18 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmc View Post
Most likely those small magnet woofers have a very high Q- factor. More stuffing is usually better. Depending on how high the Q, aperiodic venting may be better than overstuffing.
Initially aperiodic had crossed my mind but the performance has improved so much with stuffing that I'm not sure it's needed?
Old 19th April 2019, 12:28 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=StewartH83;5764860]Glad your making good progress 😁

"You can get poly fill from fabric shops for a couple of quid yet can have different fibres in so worth checking"

The price of stuffing is way more expensive in the local hobby store would you believe.

"Your learning well just like us all at one point

It's valued learning what you are doing and respect why you don't want to spend too much, makes sense. An old saying... You can't polish a turd, but you can throw glitter on it👍"

Oh this isn't my first rodeo, I've been into diy for years and made a few dodgy speakers in the the past. I've just never done this particular type of work (silk purse out of a sows ear) so that's why I thought to ask for any input from you guys
Old 19th April 2019, 07:58 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

A small mixture of bracing.

The cabinet is basic but it does have some edge bracing and the front lower section of the speaker is actually mostly double thickness as they glued the woofer cutout chipboard in there.

I'll try get some stuffing done and finish the other crossover before listening to the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190419_140830_resized.jpg (598.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20190419_134946_resized.jpg (761.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20190419_132222_resized.jpg (640.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 19th April 2019, 12:26 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Ah bugger.

I've managed to pull it mostly back into shape and will repair it tomorrow

Anyway, they sound good, I've listened to a few albums I'm familiar with and am still judging whether they're over stuffed or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190419_191959_resized.jpg (882.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 19th April 2019, 09:03 PM   #69
heinz1964 is offline heinz1964  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Try the Tang Band

I would glue a heavy cardboard pipe from the front to the back right were the hole for the socalled midrange is.

This way you brace the front/ back and you have a chamber for the tang band midrange.

Use som expanding glue and seal it after with silicone or something like it, remeber to drill a hole in the pipe for the wiring to the tang band

best regards
uwe
Old 19th April 2019, 11:52 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz1964 View Post
I would glue a heavy cardboard pipe from the front to the back right were the hole for the socalled midrange is.

This way you brace the front/ back and you have a chamber for the tang band midrange.

Use som expanding glue and seal it after with silicone or something like it, remeber to drill a hole in the pipe for the wiring to the tang band

best regards
uwe
I like that idea very much and might use it in a future project but I'm pretty happy with how they sound at the moment, they're much better than when I started and will be perfectly fine (better than fine) for what they'll be getting used for.

Any threads on improving cheap speakers?Hide this!Advertise here!