Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Any threads on improving cheap speakers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2019, 08:00 PM   #51
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have had good results from dampening the internal faces of the speaker cabinet. Like BBC style cabinets.
I have used rubber type carpet underlay in the past - Carpet tiles with bitumen layers are what I am using at the moment, stuck down with contact adhesive.
Don't over think it though, use what you can source and have fun!
The bracing you showed in post 39 will not be very effective as the braces need to be near to the middle of the panel to resist flex. Placing the braces a little off centre can help as the the differing lengths will have different resonant frequencies.
Old 17th April 2019, 08:49 PM   #52
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fostex made a heavy solid brass "Adapter Ring" for the version of the FE208 ES Sigma that as far as I know was only released in Japan. Because that version of the driver had a double size magnet (two laminated together) I think they produced the adapter ring for those who had already built with "lesser" 208s who wanted to upgrade, holding the driver out from the baffle by the thickness of one lamination, thus keeping volumes inside the cab the same.

As well as the volume adjustment though, they had the effect of increasing the effective mass of the driver basket or effective baffle stiffness and you could easily hear the difference in transient clarity.

My guess is that if you add mass to the basket in the right way you could improve the driver a little.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:40 AM   #53
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
If using fiberglass and its not closed speaker - spray it well with hairspray to avoid fibres blowing out of port and all over the place
Even better is a layer of polyester between the FG and the woofer.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:52 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

I have lost track of the number of these I have been given to "Play" with.
All these cheap Japanese brand speakers have one thing in common, cheap.
Years ago I would have invested days and dollars tarting them up and trying to make them better but in truth the improvements I made were slight apart from the benefits of lots of stuffing.
They sold so well because they actually sounded pretty good for the money, being a decent full range with tweeter and super tweeter assist.
Don't go overboard money wise.
Old 18th April 2019, 08:52 AM   #55
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
I have lost track of the number of these I have been given to "Play" with.
All these cheap Japanese brand speakers have one thing in common, cheap.
Years ago I would have invested days and dollars tarting them up and trying to make them better but in truth the improvements I made were slight apart from the benefits of lots of stuffing.
They sold so well because they actually sounded pretty good for the money, being a decent full range with tweeter and super tweeter assist.
Don't go overboard money wise.
I pulled apart a set of technics a few months ago and they were of an identical "philosophy" design wise, cheap

I've no problem spending some time on them, I think bracing will yield some good results and I'm going to pick up a few pillows at kmart this evening, I reckon that's the cheapest way to get some polyester stuffing?

You think give the caps a miss? I'm tempted to pop into jaycar and grab them today too.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:08 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewollowe View Post
I pulled apart a set of technics a few months ago and they were of an identical "philosophy" design wise, cheap

You think give the caps a miss? I'm tempted to pop into jaycar and grab them today too.
Actually I think that recapping is a good idea, because the values are so small the cost isn't great if you use the cheaper CrossCap but I buy mine from Speakerbug
Capacitors
I've used the Jaycar caps and even I can tell the difference between the yellow Jaycar, the potted greencaps and the Jantzen CrossCap
But you run the risk of spending more than the purchase price on the tweak, only you can determine if there is value in that
Old 18th April 2019, 10:24 AM   #57
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can tell the difference between the yellow Jaycar, the potted greencaps and the Jantzen CrossCap
Perhaps, but if the crossover isn't designed properly to start with, or if the values are wrong, or if the acoustics weren't considered or drivers run out of range, then it doesn't matter how much you spend.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:43 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Allen we are talking here about a specific 1uF cap on a super tweeter and a single 3.3uf on a tweeter and I think that the Japanese actually did a little bit on homework here.
If the OP stays with the factory selected values then I fail to see the relevance of the comment, please enlighten me.
I have a similar XO on a board in front of me right now although this one also has a small iron cored inductor as well, although these are 100V electrolytics and not the usual 35V found on the cheapest of the cheap
Old 18th April 2019, 11:10 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

That measuring up a crossover would bring results, even if using cheaper parts.
Old 18th April 2019, 11:21 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
did a little bit on homework ... in front of me
Notwithstanding your first hand experience

Any threads on improving cheap speakers?Hide this!Advertise here!